Deflation Occuring? Incision Torn.

I am 1 week and 3 days postop from a breast augmentation. I got saline and 290cc in both breats. I was a 32b before and was measure yesterday at a 34d now. I'm over the muscle and through the nipple.Today I feel like one of my breasts is larger than the other. To me, it looks larger, and feels larger and I'm not sure if I am paranoid.Could I possibly be leaking? My right implant is the one that appears smaller. My incision tore on one side as well, how long until that closes on it's own?

Breast implant deflation?

+2

If your saline implant is leaking it will not be subtle or difficult to figure out. A leaking implant will completely deflate and the difference will become obvious to even the untrained eye. At this point only a few weeks post op you may just be seeing differences related to swelling. 

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Go see your surgeon

+1

Dear KMHT,

In the early recovery period after breast augmentation, there will be many changes that affect how the breasts look. With time, they will settle, and in the great majority of cases,  concerns similar to what you are describing will resolve. The issue that concerns me though, is your comment that the incision 'tore'. If the implant is exposed, that is a big problem. My advice: follow with your PS to get evaluated.

Lawrence Tong, MD

It's not deflating!

+1

When saline implants deflate, they go flat and your body absorbs the salt water.  This would not be a subtle difference.  In the first few weeks after breast augmentation, it is normal for one side to be slightly bigger or higher than the other - this is all part of the process of the implant settling in the pocket and the swelling to go down.  If your incision is torn open on one side, it is important to see your surgeon right away to make sure the implant isn't exposed.  It is important that he implant doesn't get infected.  Good luck!

Bivik Rajnikant Shah, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry after breast implants

+1

One week after surgery is too soon to start getting worried.  The only worrisome thing would be in one breast seemed to be getting larger over the day or over several days as this may indicate bleeding for fluid collection that would need to be drained.  It takes several weeks to months for the swelling to resolve and the implants to settle.  If your implant was leaking, it would not make that breast look larger.  The leaking side would look smaller.  In any events, it is best that you return to your surgeon for evaluation.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Change in Breast Size

+1

Some breast asymmetry is not uncommon shortly after breast augmentation.  It really is a matter of degrees.  If the left breast is just a little bigger, it may well be related to more swelling on the one side.  If the breast is a lot bigger, it could represent something more potentially serious such as a blood and/or fluid collection.  This will need immediate attention by your surgeon just to be on the safe side.  If the right breast has become a little smaller, it can be related to the differences in swelling on each side(which is common).  If the right breast has become a lot smaller, it could represent an early deflation of the implant(which is much less common).  The healing of your incision is probably an unrelated issue, but should be evaluated in person.  Regardless, you should contact your surgeon, and have your situation evaluated as soon as you can.  Best wishes.

Michael Vincent, MD, FACS

Michael Vincent, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation issues

+1

Further details would be critical to figure out what is going on.  Whcih breast is larger?  The one that you think is leaking?  Uusally a larger breast could signify swelling or even a hematoma.  A leak usually  mean the breast is smaller.  You should contact your surgeon.

Asymmetry following breast augmentation

+1

If you have asymmetry followign breast augmentation surgery, you should see your surgeon immediately. You may have a hematoma forming which may require immediate evaculation. You may also just have asymmtric swelling. Finally, any incision opening following breast augmentation requires an urgent visit to your surgeon.

Arian Mowlavi, MD
Laguna Beach Plastic Surgeon

Get to your surgeon immediately

+1

An open wound needs to be immediately evaluated and your swelling may represent a hematoma.  Please seek your plastic surgeon immediately.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Deflation Occuring? Incision Torn

+1

I agree, you need to be evaluated by your operating surgeon.  You likely have more swelling on one side than the other, but there are other things that can be going on; hematoma, infection, etc.  So this is not something to ignore.

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Problems

+1

. Please go and see your surgeon immedicatly.  The surgeons job post op is to help and support you.  Many people have many fears after surgery.  Surgery is not something you do every day.  You surgeon does this daily  I bet you will be just fine.   My best.

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon