Considering Deflating my One Intact Breast Implant to Match the Other: What Should I Do?

I'm real desperate,I have been walking around for 3 years with my left implant deflated.I was going to get them out 2 years ago but because of my extreme anxiety I couldn't go ahead with the surgery and havn't had the finances to do it anyways.

I live in Las Vegas and I have only found 1 Dr.that will deflate my intact implant but he wants to charge $1000 to deflate with a syringe and $3500 to remove them in office with a local. I feel like my only option is to take care of it myself. Dangerous?

DO NOT DEFLATE YOUR OWN IMPLANT

+1

Deflating an intact implant can be done, but it needs to be done under sterile technique by a board certified plastic surgeon.  If that implant develops in infection by you trying to deflate it at home, you may be in for months and months of surgery, antibiotic treatment and possible deformity of your breasts.  You will end up spending 20x or more the amount of money you are trying to save by doing it yourself.  It is NOT worth the risk.

Good Luck. 

Deflating a breast implant

+1

Removal or replacement of deflated implants is recommended as early as possible.  If this can't be done for medical or financial reasons then a deflation of the  other side can be performed to have the breast appear symmetrical. A breast implant should be deflated only in a surgeon's office or hospital using sterile technique in order to prevent the development of any infections which could be disastrous.  Deflation is fairly easy in that setting and could be done at a very reasonable price.  If the first surgeon you see asks for too much be sure you get a second and third opinion from other board certified plastic surgeons in your area.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

+1

Re : " I'm real desperate,I have been walking around for 3 years with my left implant deflated.I was going to get them out 2 years ago but because of my extreme anxiety I couldn't go ahead with the surgery and havn't had the finances to do it anyways.

I live in Las Vegas and I have only found 1 Dr.that will deflate my intact implant but he wants to charge $1000 to deflate with a syringe and $3500 to remove them in office with a local. I feel like my only option is to take care of it myself. Dangerous?"

I am sorry to hear of your situation but doing it yourself is not a good idea. Putting a hole in the shell of the saline implant must be done with perfectly sterile technique without causing bleeding and without going into the chest and potentially puncturing the lung as well. I agree the 1,000 dollar charge is excessive. It would be far better to have this done professionally IF you must have it done. One reason to leave them alone and save to have them replaced is that the Implant company will replace the implants for free IF they leaked by themselves and were not punctured.

Dr. Peter A Aldea

You can find a plastic surgeon to deflate your implant

+1
I am sorry about your suitation. You can find a plastic surgeon to deflate your implant in office for symmetry for a reasonable fee. Your other implant is already deflated and there is no reason for you go around with uneven breast.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Deflation

+1

Dear clifton14,

I am sorry to hear about your condition. It sounds as if breast implant deflation and/or removal are appropriate. I would recommend that you save a little bit of money until you are able to afford the correct procedure.

I know it may be tempting to deflate the implant yourself, but I would strongly recommend against it. Implant deflation could result in complications such as bleeding, infection, or, worse yet, a collapsed lung or death. It's best to see a board certified plastic surgeon.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Deflating an implant is not recommended. Have them replaced.

+1

"Deflating" an implant is not a recommended procedure and yes, it is dangerous for you to poke it with a needle (and this leaves a folded, deflated implant, which feels unnatural).  You might get an infection. 

If you don't want implants, have them both removed surgically in a proper facility by a plastic surgeon.  Almost all patients prefer to have them replaced rather than just removed.  If you have them removed, your breasts will look deflated.  Once you have implants, you cannot really "go back."

Your best option is to have them replaced.  Use saline implants if you have anxiety about implants because there is no question about their safety.  The best remedy for anxiety is information.  Your worries may not be justified.

You should be able to find a surgeon to replace your implants for about $4300, including anesthesia and the facility (at least that's what I charge) and less if you are still under warranty.  Yes, that is a financial burden.  You may want to finance it, but in the long run, this is the best option.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon