Treatment for Deep Upper Lip Wrinkles

Last time I had Juvederm injected in the deep wrinkles above my lip, it didn't last. It was bumpy and the wrinkles really didn't go away. This time my doctor wants to "get aggressive" with Juvederm and Botox. I am a little nervous. He said I would probably be swollen for four days or so. I have heard that Juvederm doesn't work in the upper lip area for deep wrinkles since there are always problems with fillers in that area. What do you think? Are there any more options for treating wrinkles on this area?

Fillers and Botox are a very temporary solution for your problem

+1

Using fillers and botox to treat your problem can help somewhat, but the lifespan of the improvement is quite short.

There are a number of reasons why this is the case. A physician has to be very careful injecting botox around the mouth. A little too much botox, or botox in slightly the wrong location can result in a uneven smile for 3-6 weeks. Therefore, the physician has to be very conservative in how much botox is injected. Because of the need to inject a modest amount of botox, the duration of effectiveness is not that long.

Similar issues arise with the filler injection. It is widely appreciated that fillers don't last as long in areas of the face that move a lot. What moves more on the face than the area around the mouth? Nothing. Similar to the botox injections, the physician has to be quite conservative in injecting wrinkles around the mouth, or lumps can result. If you can't inject too much filler and that filler is going to absorb quicker because of the motion - the filler lifespan is limited as well.

In conclusion, if you're interest in a fairly short term solution, or if you are willing to repeat the treatment quite often - fillers and botox are an option.

Other more permanent options include skin resurfacing (ie laser, chemical peels, dermabrasion). These approaches have their own pros and cons and must be discussed with a knowledgeable provider.

Hope that helps.

Web reference: http://www.idealplasticsurgery.com/nonsurgical_botox.htm

Pittsburgh Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox with Juvederm can provide better results together

+1

Hello in Michigan,

Deep wrinkles in the upper lip can be a bit more difficult to treat than finer wrinkles or smile lines.

I would agree with your Doctor's approach of adding Botox to your treatment plan. While Juvederm can soften the appearance of the wrinkle, it does not affect the muscles causing the wrinkles in the first place. Botox works by weakening the injected muscles which in turn softens the wrinkle even further.

It is important to discuss with your Physician the amount of Botox to be used and their experience with injecting the lip area.

Done properly combining Juverderm and Botox can greatly improve deep lip wrinkles.

You may also wish to discuss adjunct procedures like fractionated lasers and chemical peels to improve the appearance of the area around your lips.