Will Deep Tissue Massage Help with Lumpiness After Liposuction?

About 6 months ago I had liposuction from outter thighs, hips and inner knees with a fat transfer to buttocks. I feel the Dr. has taken to much fat out of my outter thighs and hips and I am now lumpy and unporportioned and my butt looks smaller! I saw another surgeon to get a 2nd opinon and this dr. suggested I go for deep Tissue massages. So I am and its very painful and I do not see any results.

Unhappy with liposuction results at 6 months postoperatively

+3

At 6 months following liposuction, you will not see any substantial improvement of the affected areas. You are just wasting money. Instead, seek a consultation from at least 1 or more board certified plastic surgeons and then decide what course of action that you would like to pursue. The only way that your situation has a chance of improving would be with revisional surgery which would need to be done very expertly and meticulously.

Lumpiness after liposuction can usually be improved with microsuction and fat transfer

+3

Hi.

We think lymphatic drainage massage can be very helpful after liposuction, but it only works during the first few weeks.  After four months, I am sorry to say that you are looking at the final result, and massage will not help.  The only relatively good news is that a revision often helps.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

If too much fat was removed from the thight during liposuction, I don't think massage will help much.

+2

You will possibly need some type of revision possibly including fat grafting.  It is difficult to tell without photos.  If you have explored all options with the surgeon who did the procedure,  I would recommend that you see another experienced and respected liposuction specialist for a second opinion.  If too much fat was removed, I don't believe you will get much benefit from massage unless the uneveness is minimal.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction

+2

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.
As a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who does hundreds of Liposuctions each year, lumpiness is always a concern. I employ 3 full time estheticians who do post-op lymphatic drainage massage, and find the results of my procedures has improved dramatically.  Patients see results sooner, and are much happier. This is

something that I did not learn in my training at Columbia, but from visiting surgeons from other countries.
At six months, it is much harder to treat, but I have seen improvement in certain patients. I would tell you to find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area that offers these services to see if it may help. It is much less expensive than more surgery, if you are a good candidate.

Hope this helps.

Jeffrey S. Yager, MD

Massage Therapy For Lumpiness After Liposuction Must Be Done Early

+2

While massage therapy can be effective for smoothing out irregularities after liposuction, it must be done fairly early and will not be effective after three months. Given that you are now six months after your procedure, I would not expect any form of massage therapy to work out your concerns. Your liposuction and fat transfer results are going to require further surgical management at this point. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Deep tissue Massage and Liposuction results

+2

Unfortunately, I do not think that any type of massage will be helpful at this stage (6 months out)  of your recovery from liposuction surgery.

It may behoove you to be examined by a well experienced board certified plastic surgeon. I am doubtful that his/her advice will include deep tissue massage.

Will Deep Tissue Massage Correct Over-Resection Of Fat From Thighs?

+1

Over-resection by liposuction of any area cannot be corrected by any form of massage.  You did not provide any post operative pictures which would have been useful, but the answer to your problem seems pretty clear.  You need to see a Board Certified plastic surgeon experienced in fat grafting to correct over-resected areas.  

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Massage and liposuction

+1

Absolutely, I often have out patients go through a series of post liposuction massaging for certain areas where the tissues crease (abdomen).   These are deep lymphatic based massages to help reduce potential lumpiness.

Marc Malek, MD