Deep Suture Puckering After Breast Reduction? (photo)

I am 3 1/2 weeks post bilateral breast reduction. After getting the glue and tape off at my PS's office, I noticed my right breast's areola had a large indentation and a pucker. My PS said it was a deep suture pulling and causing the distortion and would eventually loosen as the sutures dissolve. Is this accurate? My left breast is perfect! It's almost like the PS sutured one breast and someone else sutured the other! Completely different incisions and wound approximation on each side. Any advice?

Puckering of areola and nipple after Breast reduction.

+2

Thanks for the question and the photos. Your PS is right. Yes it will improve in time. Areola looks depressed many times in these surgeries and comes to surface in time .I don’t think it’s something of concern even if the stitching was done by two different surgeons.

Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Puckering of areola and nipple

+2

More than likely this will improve with time as the deep sutures dissolve and the swelling goes down.

Don't worry

+2

This is not an uncommon problem given where you are in the recovery process.  Depending on the type of suture used to close that part of the wound, it will show some steady improvement over 2-3 months.  However, I believe you will see some improvement soon and then you should have enough confidence to wait that out.  So....be patient.

K. Dwayne Fulks, MD
Chattanooga Plastic Surgeon

Wrinkling of Breast Reduction

+2

Wrinkling and puckering around the areola after breast reduction can occur.  This typical resolves after several months after sutures dissolve.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Deep Suture Puckering After Breast Reduction?

+1

Make sure you get a refund from the doctor who did the right side. But seriously, Yes they look different and that is concerning. You need face to face discussions with the surgeon. But allow a few months to pass to see if things smooth out so to speak. 

Contour irregularity after breast reduction

+1

The photos suggest that there may be two issues:

1. Any deep stitches catching the dermis (deeper layer of skin) will cause a puckering. Most of the time this will improve once the suture has dissolved and been absorbed by the body. Depending on the suture used this process may take six weeks to six months. Your surgeon will know what type of suture was used and how long it takes to dissolve.

2. There is also some irregularlity and pursestring effect around the areola. This is very common and depends on the degree of mismatch between the size of the nipple/areola and the size of the hole in which it fits as the nipple is moved upwards. This again will slowly improve and settle down and may take upto six months.

So, don't worry - whatever it is, it is very likely to improve in the next few months.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon