I Have Deep Set Eyes with Low Eyelids, is It Possible to Get Prominent Eyes by Surgery?

I have deep set eyes with low eyelids, is it possible to get prominent eyes by surgery?

Eyelid Surgery

+2

The genetic map we are born with includes where our eyes are set.  Have at least two opinions with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and they will give your options.  Your options are limited, and we usually recommend doing nothing because the benefit to risk ratio is not very positive.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Deep set eyes

+2

There are many possible surgeries for prominent or deep set eyes.  Your question is difficult to answer without a photograph to have  a better understanding of the issue.  Please submit and I will be happy to respond

Best

Dr. Massry

Guy Massry, MD

"Deep Set" Eyes May Be Improved with Eyelid Lift

+1

Dear AmyAimee-

Basd on your anatomy, if your eyes are "deep set" due to extra skin, fat, and soft tissue that bulges around your eyes, then an eyelid lift can address all of those areas.  Removing or repositioning your eyelid skin, fat, muscle, and soft tissue is possible, and will make your eyes appear less deep.

If your eyes are truly "deep set" due to bone anatomy, then this problem may not be easily correctable, except with surgery to the bones around your eye area.  This is uncommon, so I doubt this is your problem, but only a consultation with a plastic surgeon would be able to figure this out.

Best Wishes,

Roy Kim, MD

Roy Kim, MD

Blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) for deep set eyes

+1

Deep set eyes are not the primary indication for eyelid surgery (Blepharoplasty)...rather it's the excess skin and fatty tissue (bags) that eyelid surgery will address.  There is a way, with eyelid surgery, to make shallow eyes appear more deep set but not the reverse IMHO.  In fact, I have performed eyelid surgery for over 20 years and patients with deep set eyes may actually look less attractive after eyelid surgery if the hollow look is accentuated with the eyelid surgery.  IMHO, you should have a couple of consultations with plastic and cosmetic surgeons or occuloplastic surgerons with great reputations before proceeding.

Deep set eyes will not be improved by blepharoplasty.

+1

The truth is that without a photograph or an examination, it is difficult to meaningfully answer this question.  It very much depends on how your eyes are "deep set."  There are orbit surgeries that can shift a truly deep set eye.  However, these are such large surgeries with the potential for visual loss, the with the exception of very unusual situtations, these procedures are seldom performed.

Appearance of Deep Set Eyes Might Be Improved

+1

The appearance of deep set eyes might be improved with Blepharoplasty: removing excess eyelid skin and fat can make the eyes appear brighter, larger, more prominent in appearance.

There is not an elective cosmetic surgery that actually makes the eyeball more prominent.

Best to have a consultation with an expert who can evaluate if your goals can be achieved with surgery.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon