Who Does a Deep Plane Facelift?

I have had 2 disastrous facelifts,in that the results were nil. The results lasted only a matter of months,and i am sure that only the skin was lifted.? Certainly i traveled out of the country for these precedures,mainly because of costs,but on reflection i should have paid more,and concentrated on a doctor who specialises in faces. So just wondering what doctors really do a 'Deep Plane' lift,as to be honest ,how are we to know exactly what has been done?

Composite facelift gives a better natural and longer lasting result than subcutaneous facelift.

+2

I have been doing a composite facelift for over 20 years.  The skin is not detached from the deeper "plane" which preserves nearly normal blood supply to the remaining skin.  The deeper tissue supports the lift so the skin is sutured under little tension. 

It Is Not The Plane, It's The Surgeon!

+2

The internet and the abundance of information, tends to cause people to focus on the wrong things.  Getting a deep plane facelift is not the answer to your issues.  I can tell you that and I have not even seen your photos.  Deep plane, composite facelift, SMAS flap, SMAS plication--what is the best method for you?  I can virtually guarantee you that the right surgeon can make any of these methods work for you.  It is the surgeon and not the method that gets the job done.  Look at the list of top contributors for facelift questions on this website.  Virtually any of these surgeons will be able to help you with you  situation.  Focus on the surgeon and not on the method.  Good luck and please be careful.

You need the "right facelift" and perhaps not a deep plane face lift.

+2

Foreign facelifts can be problematic..

I practice in South Florida and consequently have seen and re-operated on many "off-shore" facelifts.

A common feature is that they tend to be underdone compared to the local well trained plastic surgeon.  An offshore plastic surgeon, no matter what his background is, has to plan and operation which allows the patient to return home with limited or no long term followup.

This means they typically do not use our more advanced approaches that require a much longer followup as well as the chance of complications that might extend the patients stay

in a foreign country. 

It seems that you need to be seen by an American plastic surgeon who does multiple styles of surgery and who can redo your surgery.  The style needed may not be a deep plane at all.

Unfortunately the cost will be that of a good surgeon doing hopefully a much better operation well suited to your needs.

Dr. Mayl

Fort Lauderdale.

Nathan Mayl, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Seeking the Truth in Facelifts

+2

Deep plane facelifts are one of the more technically demanding procedures in facelift surgery.  The knowledge of facial anatomy is important as to not disrupt vital structures such as nerves while releasing facial ligaments to mobilize the face and neck.  Several studies have shown further release and more skin excised after deep plane lifts than SMAS lifts.  In addition, there are many acronyms and trademarked facelifts which can make patients seem like they are getting a unique lift but may be getting a variation of a standard facelift.

So how does a patient find out what a surgeon's lift is all about?  

• -Ask the surgeon- He/she may tell you their technique in detail.  Beware that many surgeons claim to perform a "deep" plane but are in fact doing a SMAS lift
  • -Research any scientific writings by the surgeon-  If the surgeon has written in a medical journal about deep plane technique and can demonstrate it in a scientific article, it is fair to assume that he/she actually performs deep plane lifts
  • -Seek out results from other patients- Many facelift patients are word of mouth.  Usually, other patients, hair dressers, people in the beauty industry know whose lifts are the best.  

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Deep Plane Facelift

+1

Deep plane facelift was receiving a great deal of press several years ago, but most plastic surgeons use either SMAS plication or SMASectomy techniques to treat the underlying tissue.  A SMAS plication facelift has an almost nil chance of facial nerve damage, whereas the deep plane facelift can be several percent chance (or more).  The results of a SMAS plication in the right hands can produce the result you want.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who has performed hundreds or thousands of facelifts.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Don't Pick the Facelift type, Pick the Best Surgeon !

+1

Your experience regarding your travel medicine results unfortunately are all too common choosing cost as the most important feature rather than the best surgeon.

Please don't make a second similar mistake by choosing the technique rather than the best surgeon available and then following their advice.

The below link is how I would select the best possible surgeon to do a facelift.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Very Few Plastic Surgeons Do True Deep Plane Facelifts.

+1

Hi.

As the other doctors say, you just need a good facelift.  Trust the right surgeon and let him or her use their preferred technique.  It is true that the deeper tissues need to be lifted, but a "deep plane" facelift is a very specific procedure with considerable risk.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)