Deep Plane Facelift/Neck Lift Nerve Damage to Tongue/palate?

I had a deep plane facelift and neck lift 3 weeks ago and I've had persistent sensations on my tongue and/or palate. It feels like something is there,like a hair or piece of food would feel. Its actually hard to tell if it is the palate or the tongue because I only feel it when they touch each other. Is there any possibility that a facelift could irritate or damage a nerve that would produce the sensations in that area? Do sensory nerves always heal?Thanks.

Tongue and Palate Issues After Facelift

+1

If the surgery was performed with general endotracheal anesthesia, the endotracheal tube is the likely cause for the issues, and the tissues should heal.  Your plastic surgeon should examine you.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tongue Palate sensations after a face lift

+1

This would be really rare. You would have to go pretty deep to hit that nerve. It is possible that maybe the intubation tube caused some trauma to this area and you are still healing from it. That is more likely.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nerve damage following facelift

+1

It is very rare to experience sensations of the tongue/palate following a facelift, as the nerves associated with these areas would not be touched during a facelift.   Nerve damage from a facelift can result in the following side effects:

1) Numbness of the face
2) Difficulty making certain facial expressions
3) Ear numbness
4) Drooping of facial features (mouth or cheek)

In general, most temporary nerve damage that occurs from a facelift will be resolve in anywhere from 6 months to a year. It may take longer for a complete recovery, but it depends on the patient and the circumstances of the issue.

If you we under general anesthesia, the tube in your throat can cause irritation.  This can cause discomfort after a procedure, but it would be unusual for the effects to be lasting 3 weeks.  In this situation, I would see a head and neck surgeon or ENT to evaluate your throat.

Thank you and I hope this helps!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nerve damage?

+1

I dont think so. The sensory nerves of that area arent near the palate and tongue. It is more likely a result of the anaesthesia tube for intubation

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Nerve Damage After a Deep Plane Facelift

+1

Nerve damage can occur with any kind of subcutaneous facelift although there is more of a chance with a deep plane facelift as this is closer to the facial nerve. The key is that the surgeon is fully aware of the facial anatomy and obviously staying away from the major branches of the facial nerve. This requires the expertise of a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has the experience and significant expertise in facelift surgery.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Nerve damage after a deep plane facelift

+1

The sensory nerves to the tongue and the palate are nowhere near the dissection plane in a deep plane facelift. It is more likely that the sensations that you are experiencing are related to intubation or anesthesia. Regardless, I would anticipate that these sensations will diminish with time. If they do not, follow up with your surgeon.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Nerve injury after deep plane facelift

+1

It is highly unlikely to have damage to the tongue or palate from a deep plane facelift since these nerves are much deeper than those encountered during the procedure and are typically not at risk. These feelings may be more related to the ansthetic portion of the procedure and should resolve over time.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unusual feeling of tongue after facelift

+1

I suspect that the feeling is due to the endotracheal tube that was placed during surgery (assuming it was done under a general anesthetic).

Ronald Schuster, MD

Intraoral Numbness After Facelift

+1

Even a deep plane facelift does not get near the location of the nerves to the tongue or palate. This may be related to the intubation for the procedure where the pressure of the tube on the throat lining or palate can create some temporary numbness. Another month or two of healing should make this intraoral sensation pass.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Sensory alteration of tongue/palate after facelift

+1
The facelift dissection does not go near the sensory nerves affecting the tongue and palate. Your symptoms may be related to intubation anesthesia if you had general and, if you did not have general, then the etiology would be unrelated to your surgery. You should discuss this with your plastic surgeon and follow any recommendations if he refers you to another medical specialist for evaluation.

Robert L. Kraft, MD