I Have No Deep Lines,can Botox Prevent when I Get It Twice a Year from Getting Deeper Line

iam 50 years of age,with no deep lines nor crincels around the eyes and mid forehead.i recieved over a period of 2 years 2 botox only 22 units on forhead/eyebrows,and a little bit side eye bone to raise my brow.i was very satisfied with the results.can i prevent from getting deeper lines now since iam 50 in the long run by using botox regular?also iam an athlete,does botox wear off faster when i train everyday? hope to hear from you,silvie

Regular Botox use and preventing aging

+3
While Botox is not going to stop the normal aging process completely having regular treatments will stop the muscles from constantly contracting. These fine lines when not treated may lead to a progression of deeper furrows or lines. My patients usually come in every four months for treatment so you may want to add to your current regime. Exercise does not lead to Botox dissipating any faster then on patients who are more limited in their physical activities. Best regards!

Can Botox PREVENT Deep Lines?

+2

Hi Silvie.  I think the word "prevention" is the wrong one for how Botox works.  What we are really talking about is masking the affects of aging skin by relaxing the muscles that Botox is injected into.  

Botox cannot slow the aging process, but it can make you appear much younger with fewer lines.  Unfortunately, it will not prevent deep lines from developing because as skin loses elasticity with age, the method that Botox uses (muscle relaxation) will not be enough to make up for sagging skin.  At that point, a brow lift or blepharoplasty will be in order.  Good luck.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Botox can be a preventative treatment against wrinkles

+2

Starting Botox before frown lines and crowsfeet get etched into the skin is the best way to slow down the development of deep forehead frown lines and crowsfeet and those dreaded upper lip lines.  Two to three treatments a year is a great way to slow down the wear and tear process, especially when combined with sunscreens and a therapeutic at-home skin care regimen.

Margaret Weiss, MD
Baltimore Dermatologist

Botox to keep frown muscles paralysed should help

+2

Botox to keep frown muscles paralysed should help prevent progression to deep frown lines.  This typically requires more than 22 units over two years.  I would suggest a routine of 4-6 months "touch ups" to keep the frown muscles from getting strong again.  Physical activity should not affect the outcome.

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

BOTOX can improve your appearance.

+2

Silvie

There is absolutely no evidence that using BOTOX prevents the changes associate with aging.  What we are really talking about is managing those changes. Do I think that properly done BOTOX will be beneficial for you?  Absolutely!  Training does not cause BOTOX to wear off faster.  However, it does cause some wear and tear in the face and contributes to loss of facial volume over time.  Well placed fillers can help with these types of changes.

Regular Botox use will prevent deep forehead lines from forming

+2

Yes, IMHO the regualr use of Botox in the forehead should prevent the muscles from creating deep lines in the forehead.  I typically treat the forehead and then recommend a booster full treatment at 1 month to futher weaken the forehead muscle.  The patients then come at 4-6 month intervals to maintain the effects.

Botox is not a preventative treatment

+2

Botox is not a preventative treatment and will not stop the inevitable in terms of lines and wrinkles on the face. It is, however, the best cosmetic treatment on the market to temporarily reduce for 3-4 months the wrinkles, frowning, and lines on the forehead.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

The relaxation caused by BOTOX® starts to wear off after 3-4 months

+2

The relaxation caused by BOTOX® starts to wear off after 3-4 months, so treating your frown and crow's feet muscles just twice a year might not be quite enough.

If you grimace a lot while doing sports or training [for example, weight lifting] your muscles might recover faster from the BOTOX® treatment, and it might need to be repeated a little more frequently than if you were a couch potato.

Kevin C. Smith, MD
Niagara Falls Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox doesn't wear off more quickly in athletes

+1

I haven't noticed in my many athletic NYC patients that Botox wears off any more quickly than sedentery patients.  Performing botox regularly may help minimize the formation of lines but doesn't retard the aging process from sun exposure that occurred years ago.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Botox is not a preventative measure

+1
There is no evidence that Botox will prevent aging. It is a manager, not preventer of the aging process. It has wonderful beneficial effects at low cost to improve the appearance. There is no evidence that athletic training would cause Botox to wear off faster and I think it's great that you are in shape. Just don't forget the sunscreen!!!

Robert L. Kraft, MD