Treatment for Deep Leg Scar?

I have a deep and very bad scar on my leg, which I had since childhood. I had chemical peel and laser but it still won't go. What are my other options?

Options for Scar Revision

+2

There are many treatments for scars but they vary in range from superficial treatments (lasers, chemical peels, dermabrasion) to actual removal and reorientation of tissue for treatment. Depending on the severity of the scar and the involved area, surgical treatments range from simply cutting out the scar and closing the wound with stitches to bringing in healthy, non-scarred tissue from another part of your body (ie- local and free flaps).

When scars are deep, it is often a result of a lack of underlying tissue - fat, muscle, etc. The scar pulls the surrounding skin down to this deeper level causing the indentation. No laser, peel, steroid, or other topical/injectable will correct this. The treatment is surgical by releasing the scar and interposing healthy soft tissue into the defect. To determine what options are right for you, I recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Deep Leg Scar Treatment

+2

Hi Bhelle,

The type of treatment we would suggest depends on what type of scar you have. There are pigmented scars and textured scars.

For textured (bumpy, indented) there are several options:

• Surgical Revision
  • Fractionated Laser Resurfacing
  • Steroid Injections

For Pigmented Scars

• Q-Switched Lasers
  • Hydroquinone Bleaching Products

There is not necessarily one "best" treatment, but rather several options. Get several opinions on what might work best for you and use this information to make an informed decision. Ask for before and after pictures during your consultations. Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Scar revision should be multidisciplinary

+1

Scar revision is a common procedure to reduce the appearance of scars on the body. Scars can have contour irregularity, loss of pigment, excessive pigment, and concomitant deformity.

Scar revision can be performed by a combination of observation, topical creams, chemical peels, injection of TAC, silicone sheeting, dermabrasion, laser, and surgery.

I routinely perform scar revision on patients with scars as a result of trauma, surgery, acne, and inflammation. Patients typically notice significant improvement in the quality of the scars using the least invasive modalities.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

There are a variety of treatments for scars

+1

There are several approaches to treating a scar. The goal is to improve the appearance as much as possible, and to minimize any symptoms that you have, such as itching or tenderness. Laser treatments can improve the color and texture. Injections of cortisone can help to shrink the tissue of large raised scars. Indented scars may improve with microdermabrasion, chemical peels, and/or filler injections.

Most treatments for scars result in gradual but noticeable improvement. However, there is no treatment that will completely eliminate the scar or restore the skin to the way it appeared before the injury, surgery, or disease process that caused it.

Jordana S. Gilman, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Scar Revision

+1

Large or wide scars are frequently best treated by scar revision. In really long or involved scars this can be done in stages. Get a good evaluation so your options can be presented to you.

Best Regards.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon