I Have a Deep Horizontal Wrinkle on Both Sides of my Chin. Can Botox Help?

I am 65 and have no other wrinkles that bother me. My skin is fairly smooth otherwise and I am frequently taken for my mid 40s.

Since you use the word deep...even sight unseen you're probably a candidate for a filler

+1

with botox playing a minimal role in correcting the deep horizontal wrinkle of both sides of your chin...botox mostly controls the chin wrinkles in that area...sounds like you're a perfect candidate for wonderful improvement...sure you'll be pleased with the results...

Horizontal wrinkles on the sides of your chin

+1

You should be examined by a dermatologist or plastic surgeon.  Botox minimizes muscle movement, but if loss of volume is your problem, it can be improved by dermal fillers such as Juvederm or Restylane.  Sculptra may also be an option for you.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Botox, Wrinkle Treatment, Beverly Hills Botox, Los Angeles Botox, Nasal Surgery, Beverly Hills Rhinoplasty

+1

Sure, you can have some Botox injected very superficially to that area and see how much the wrinkle is reduced.  You may want to start out with half an area of Botox split between both sides.

Horizontal Wrinkle on Sides of Chin?

+1

Hi Butz.  Based on your short desreiption only, you would most likely be a good candidate for a dermal filler such as Radiesse, Perlane, Juvederm or Restylane.  

We would use the location of the line, it's depth and the proximity to the jowls to determine which filler to use, but often in the chin, we prefer Perlane or Radiesse.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Treating horizontal chin lines

+1

I believe that your horizontal wrinkle lines might respond well to an injection of a filling material such as Juvederm or your own body fat. Juvederm is quick and easy and is not a surgical procedure. Fat grafting is an injection procedure, but more of a surgical one, meaning more possibility of bruising and a slightly longer recuperation period. Thus, for your first experience, I would recommend trying out a filler like Juvederm and go from there.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Botox for deep wrinkles on the chin

+1

Generally deep folds on the chin are usually best treated with fillers such as Juvederm, Resylane or Perlane. Botox is for wrinkles cause by movement of facial muscles.

Dina D. Strachan, MD

Botox usually is not good for deep horizontal lines of the chin

+1

Fillers are usually much better than botox injections for deeply set lines or creases that run horizontally on the chin. Botox is used for dimpling in the chin or to lift the corners of a mouth that have started to droop by injecting the depressor anguli oris at the jawbone behind the line of the chin, but this is not expected to help most horizontal lines. Of course, your situation needs to be identified by an examination before someone could comment on your treatment.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Botox for Deep Horizontal Wrinkles of the Chin

+1

Minute amounts of Botox may improve deep horizontal wrinkles of the chin, but Botox is best for thr treatment of lines of animation. These depressions are usually present without facial movement and therefore are more effectively improved with Radiesse ( filler) injections to change chin contour.

Horizontal Chin Lines Might Be Better Treated With Filler

+1

Horizontal lines in the chin area are often deeply etched, and the skin tends to be thick.  I have had good success treating these lines with Radiesse, concomitantly subcizing the tethering of the deep dermis with the needle. Radiesse gives better support of the dermis here than does Restylane or Juvederm.

Botox, often with a filler, works well for the vertical marionette lines from the corners of the mouth, as well as for the dimpling, or "orange peel" look of the chin.  I don't think it would be the best option for horizontal lines, which you describe, but I'd recommend you have a consultation with an experienced facial plastic surgeon or dermatologist.

James Bartels, MD
Manchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Deep wrinkles in the area about the chin usually need a combination of Botox and fillers.

+1

These deep wrinkles in men are typically deeply "etched" and do best with "combi" treatment.

We typically will inject the area with a very small amount of Botox and then wait two weeks to see what effect if any we get.  We then come back and inject either Radiesse or silicone because it takes a denser filler than Radiesse or Juvederm to really hold the dermis up.  The rational is to quiet the muscle first and then do the fill. This allows the filler to have a chance to settle without the muscle action dislocating it.

Dr. Mayl

Fort Lauderdale

Nathan Mayl, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon