Deep Horizontal Lip Lines - How Can I Fix?

I had laser resurfacing on my face in April to help diminish my two horizontal wrinkles above my lip. Everytime I smile the only thing I see are these two wrinkles. I hate taking pictures and am very insecure about my looks. Is there anything I can do to fix. Could the muscle be cut under the lip so the wrinkle could relax? I would do anything to be able to look at myself and be happy.

Treatment of horizontal lip lines

+1

The type of lip line you describe is never amenable to laser resurfacing because the inciting agent is a small deep muscle that pulls the tip of the nose downward and the lip upward to create the skin crease. Laser resurfacing affects the skin surface and just does not get deep enough to do anything to the muscle.

Based on the surgeon's experience the muscles are removed through an incision inside the nose or via an incision on the inner surface of the upper lip. Some of the surgeons who go through the lip will place a tissue spacer to prevent regrowth of the muscle.

Correcting deep horizontal lip lines

+1

Regarding: "deep horizontal lip lines - how can I fix?  I had laser resurfacing on my face in April to help diminish my two horizontal wrinkles above my lip. Everytime I smile the only thing I see are these two wrinkles. I hate taking pictures and am very insecure about my looks. Is there anything I can do to fix. Could the muscle be cut under the lip so the wrinkle could relax? I would do anything to be able to look at myself and be happy."

There is a muscle that BOTH pulls the nose forward and to the lip as well as creases the lip - The Depressor Nasi Septi muscle. We remove it while performing nose surgery in people who are bothered the way you do with occasional base of nose upper lip numbness. You may want to see a Plastic surgeon who does his own Botox injections and who could weaken the muscle with Botox. If you like the effect you can either continue with Botox injections as needed or have the muscle divided through an upper lip incision.

Good Luck.

Dr. Aldea