Deep horizontal lines on cheek bones below both the eyes. Could they be caused by sleeping on the sides? (Photo)

I am 27 years old and it's been 4-5 years I have started noticing deep horizontal lines on my cheek bones. Every year I feel these lines are getting more and more pronounced. They make me look older than I already am. My mother has these lines as well. The worst part is when light is right over my head, these lines form a shadow and look even worse. Could these be because of sleeping on the sides? What options do I have?

Lines over cheeks

+1
Thank you for your question and photos.

First, I doubt that your problem is caused or can be resolved by your sleeping position. Additionally, as you mentioned your mother has these too. This is likely a hereditary issue and there is nothing you have done to make them appear or worsen. 

I would recommend a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss the treatment options. Often in patients your age minimally invasive treatments, such as fillers can help mask the problem.

Best Regards,

Dr. Stutman

Mesa Plastic Surgeon

Horizontal Lines on the Cheeks below the Eyelids

+1
Sleeping on the sides generally does not cause horizontal lines, but does often cause vertical lines on the cheeks. The horizontal depressions I see in your photos suggest that you are in the early stages of developing ptosis of the cheek fat pads.  These lines are most easily corrected by dermal fillers, which are injected into the skin of the cheeks and last 6 or more months. Other options would include fat grafting. When you get closer to your mother's age, you could consider a mid-face lift. Consult your local surgeon for options as well because photos cannot express your concerns as well as a face-to-face consultation.

Temp Patterson, MD
Burley Facial Plastic Surgeon