How Do I Get Rid of Deep Glabella Line from years of Migraines?

I'm 42 years old and I have one very deep glabella line from years of migraines. It now makes me look like I am always angry. What is the best treatment to permanently get rid of my 'frown line'?? Thanks.

Getting rid of frown lines

+1

The simplest treatment is Botox for the glabellar area. This area may need some fillers if the lines persist after the muscles have been relaxed with Botox. This is a temporary treatment. For something more permanent a brow lift, either endoscopic or open would be necessary .

Forehead creases

+1

The combination of deep furrows between the brows and a history of migraine headaches makes a good case for a trial of injectable botulinum, better known by the brand names of  Botox and Dysport.   First, this drug when injected carefully can reduce the excessive movement of certain brow & forehead muscles, and this provides the skin a much-needed respite from its constant movement (the cause of the creases).   In addition, there is clinical evidence that many migraine patients will experience fewer and/or less intense migraine headaches when being treated with botulinum. A number of our patients ask for Dysport or Botox because of their chronic headaches and, obviously, find the "side effect" of reduced creases and furrows a nice addition!    DRC

Donn R. Chatham, MD
Louisville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Glabella lines - frown lines between the eyebrows

+1

We usually inject botox to alleviate frown lines between the eyebrows. However if the lines are really deep it is too late for botox alone because even if you paralyze the iniciting muscle the skin has been damaged by the constant folding. It is similar to a piece of metal or paper that weakens along a fold line after repeated folding.

The answer in these cases is a filler and the choices you can choose from are enormous. In the past I have used injected fat, surgically placed strips of acellular dermis or deep temporal fascia etc. Currently most of my patients get an injection of radiesse. You have to be sure that no matter what is injected in the area the surgeon is very careful not to injection into any blood vessels. If the injected material gets into the blood vessels that supply this area of skin the skin between the eyebrows will die. This area has a certain blood vessel positioning that makes it more susceptible to blood vessel blockage by injected filler than any other area of the face.

Aaron Stone, MD