Deep FX for Unevenness and Acne Scarring?

I had very bad cystic acne on my face. I actually had deep CO2 Laser treatment in 1998. It helped about 25% to 30% but I still have a lot of unevenness and scarring, plus now I am aging. Will Deep FX help at all? If not, what else can I do to even out the scars?

FX Laser for acne: add Sculptra

+2

The FX laser works very well for aging and acne scars. I have been getting even better results by adding in several vials of the filler Sculptra. Each works well alone but the combination is even better. Sculptra will increase the collagen in the face at a different level than the laser. It helps to fill things out from below so your makeup will sit smoother. Since your last laser was over 10 years ago you should have no trouble with the FX laser.

West Orange Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fractional CO2 Laser, a new gold standard for laser resurfacing for acne scarring and rejuvenation

+1

Fractional CO2 Laser has become the new gold standard for laser resurfacing for acne scarring, wrinkles, and sun damage. The ablative CO2 laser resurfacing had been the prior gold standard treatment; however, the requirement for general anesthesia and associated downtime has made the traditional CO2 laser resurfacing less desirable. Fractional CO2 laser allows for the CO2 laser energy to be delivered in a fractionated fashion to dramatically shorten downtime 5-6 days and achieve significant smoothing of skin texture and rejuvenation of an aging skin with one treatment.

There is not that much difference between the existing Fractional CO2 Lasers (Deep/Active/Total Fx, Mixto, Fraxel Repair, etc) and they all perform fairly comparably. The key is to find an experienced physician with a team approach to customize a series of pre-op and post-op care routine to maximize your clinical outcome. Different parameters such as the depths of laser penetration, density of penetration, energy released, number of passes for particular anatomic region vary for different skin types and different priorities of the patients. Ideally, you should be under the care of a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon who has performed at least 50 cases of your skin type and know exactly what to do in order to prevent and manage complications.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon