Can I Have Veneers on the Upper and Lower Teeth with a Very Deep Bite?

I had a very deep bite and due to the orthodontic treatment for 3 years it is come to a point where my lower teeth do not touch my upper teeth anymore. But still the bite is a bit deep. Now several dentists advised me to have crowns instead of veneers because veneers would chip to easily with a deep bite and my teeth would be too thin. (On a diagnostic model I can see that there really is limited space between the lower teeth and upper teeth).

Veneers are a great option (if done well)

+1

Not every dentist knows how to do veneers well and may opt for full coverage crowns.  Often, the material chosen would include metal with the hope of increased strength.  Modern materials and techniques make this thought process untrue.

If you doubt the advice given, seek another opinion.  I have seen many patients that, despite my advice for veneers, were given porcelain fused to metal crowns.  They were both unnecessary and unaesthetic.

Web reference: http://www.bestSeattleDentist.com

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers do work for a deep bite!

+1

Porcelain veneers can work for almost any bite. The veneers can be made very thin on the lower teeth to accomodate the bite. Find a good dentist who can do this challenging case...

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers are a very durable option

+1

Many dentists opt for crowns because they have had a few bad experiences with veneers.  Most of these dentists have probably prepped the teeth too deep and are trying to bond to dentin instead of enamel.  The enamel bond is very strong and provides a lot of strength to the porcelain.  I would say you want 1 to 1.5 mm of clearence for either veneers or crowns.  If you have this then the risk for breakage really depends on a combination of the "envelope of function" (which is increased with a deep bite), your innate and learned habits for using your teeth, and the type of material used.

For the lower front teeth, I never do a full crown unless there was already one before I got to it.  I very rarely see veneers break on those teeth.  With a deep bite you should be concerned, but you need to work with a dentist who understands the mechanics of the bite, as well as an orthodontist who may be able to correct the bite using your natural teeth.  But if you're already into it after 3 years, you may need to re-evaluate your options.

Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist