I Have Deep Bags/cheeks Dents Since Birth - What Can Be Done - They Dont Get Worse but I Hate Them? (photo)

I am 36 years old, and had these since my first ever photo - birth. They are not getting worse, but are something i would love to improve. The mixed messages on here are not helping in decision making, so thought id share my problem. You cant "pinch" the area in question, and the dents run from eye, across my cheek. I have some advice from a surgeon that recommended fat transfer or fillers, but i have concern that it might make the area more promanent, or wont work (fat transfer) at all- help?

Fat transfer to fill cheek dents and tired lower eyelids

+1

Fat is a good filler to the cheek and lower eyelid/cheek junction area.  If you have a flat cheek, a dent, or dark hollows under the eye at the cheek eyelid junction, it can be a great filler.

If you have never filled the area before, I think it is a good idea to try a traditional filler first.  Juvederm and Restylane are HA fillers. 

• They last usually about 6 months. 
  • They are reversible. 
  • It is a quick in office easy procedure with no downtime. 
  • The benefit of doing this before doing fat is you can see what volume does to the cheek area and make sure you like the look before doing fat transfer.

Fat transfer to the cheek is a procedure usually done in an operating room.  There is recovery: you will likely get swelling and some bruising for 1-2 weeks.  Not all the fat will survive, but what does survive (most estimate 50-70%) will stay, hence the benefit of making sure you like the look of more volume before doing fat.

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Photos are not ideal

+1

Unfortunately, the photo you provided doesn't really give us an opportunity to see your concerns very well. In general however, the two options available for you are fillers [restylane/juverderm/radiesse/sculptra]  each with their pros and cons, vs fat transfer which is permanent.

With proper technique, fat transfer is a great option. But fillers such as Restylane and Juvederm are more forgiving and less risky since reversal is quite easy if you are not happy with your results.

You need to have a consultation with a surgeon that is comfortable with both these options.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon