Recommendations for Deep Acne Scars?

I have attached my left side pic I used to have severe acne for 10 years until it cleared up recently. As seen from the pic, it has left severe deep scars. I have seen a dermatologist in toronto and I was recommended fraxel laser. DO you think it would improve my very severe deep acne scars? What procedures would you recommend for best results? Thanks fro all your help!

Deep acne scarring

+2

You have a very advanced degree of acne scarring. Improvement can be made with Active FX and Deep FX (Total FX) ablative fractionated CO2 (carbon dioxide) laser. You will require multiple treatments. There will be improvement. From El Paso.

El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Deep acne scarring of the cheeks

+2

I would strongly encourage you to read the article I published on the CO2 laser for acne scarring as it is by far the best method for improvement. That being said, a lot of your scarring is ice pick scarring and should be excised first and then followed by resurfacing with the CO2 laser. You will not get enough improvement in my opinion with the Fraxel laser as you would with the traditional CO2 laser. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Acne scarring

+1

Treatment options for acne scarring include laser resurfacing (e.g. profractional laser, Fraxel, CO2 laser, etc), Cross trichloracetic acid treatment method, subcision, filler injections amongst others.  Best is to get a consultation with a dermatologist experienced with acne scar treatment 

Anatoli Freiman, MD
Toronto Dermatologist

Treatment for advanced acne scarring

+1

While lasers do play an important role in the treatment of acne scars (and all of the devices mentioned by the other respondants to this question are reasonable) I strongly believe that surgical treatment of these scars is the most important first (and maybe second).  I usually perform excisions, subcision, dermal grafting,etc. followed by laser treatment several weeks later.  I find that this produces far better results than when I only use laser treatment on  moderate to severe acne scarring.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Deep Acne Scar Treatment - Total FX

+1

My recommendation would be to undergo a Lumenis Total FX laser resurfacing. You may require 2-3 sessions for optimal results. Additionally you may consider collagen induction therapy, again requiring 2-3 treatments. This, combined with a sound skin regimen should give you a marked improvement in your skin texture.

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Deep acne scars

+1
I feel that with the Fraxel repair (with is the co2 Fraxel laser) excellent results can be obtained. It may require two treatments but I have seen on average about a 70% improvement in acne scarring.

Kari L. Colen, MD

Fraxel is an option

+1

Please have realistic expectations. I think both Fraxel Restore (5-6 sessions with aggressive settings) or 2-3 sessions with either Fraxel Repair or Lumenis Active/Deep FX will give you significant improvement. Nothing will fix this level of scarring 100%.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist