Is it more of a risk to choose slightly larger chin and jaw implants than the smaller ones?

Is it more of a risk to choose slightly larger chin and jaw implants than the smaller ones, or does it make any difference? The larger ones would probably be better for me but if there is any extra risk I might be happy enough with a more subtle augmentation. Also, I live in England but intend to have the surgery in the US as there doesn't seem to be any surgeons with a lot of experience with both surgeries over here. Do you think this is sensible in terms of possible post-surgery and long term problems?

Chin and Jaw Implant Sizing

+1
From a medical risk standpoint (e.g., infection) there are no increased risks whether chin and jaw implants are bigger or smaller. The issue is one of the aesthetic result and the potential risk of the need for revisional surgery if one is not happy with the size chosen.

Size of jaw implants

+1
Technically, the size of the implant does not matter as long as the soft tissue pocket is large enough to accommodate the implant without excessive tension on the suture line and soft tissue.  I always secure the implants with a micro screw and I believe this helps prevent mobility and hence problems.
The size of the implant is more determined by the amount of deficiency you have.

Joe Niamtu, III DMD
Cosmetic Facial Surgery
Richmond, Virginia 

Joseph Niamtu, III, DMD
Richmond Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Chin implant and jaw implant sizing

+1
It   is always better to undergo implants, then overdue them. It's important not to looked like he had implants done, just better.

More risks with larger chin and jaw implants

+1
Hello and thank you for your question.
As with any surgery there are always possible risks. Potentially the risks can be greater with larger implants. This is a topic that would best be discussed in person as it is a bit too lengthy to cover in this forum. If you are planning to have the procedure done here in the US, I would be more than happy to take a look at you. Please contact my office at 212-688-5882.

Best of luck to you.

David Cangello, MD

Is it more of a risk to choose slightly larger chin and jaw implants than the smaller ones, or does it make any difference?

+1
In terms of surgical risk, the size of the implant should not make a difference in terms of risk of malposition, infection or numbness. However, the greatest risk of very large implants is creating an unnatural lower facial shape and profile. Your plastic surgeon should be able to recommend implants that will provide a natural look for you. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon