Who decides what your new nose will look like? (Photo)

I'm going over seas in a few weeks for revision rhinoplasty and possible chin implant. Can I tell the surgeon what I want or will he ultimately make the decision? Based on my pictures can my nose be made smaller ?

Who decides what your new nose will look like?

+1
   Your nose can be improved, but you should be able to tell your surgeon what you would like.

Who decides how my nose will look after surgery.

+1
Take your photos and insert them in any simple photo editing program and remove small portions of the nose.  See what you think.  Like snipping a little of the tip and tilting it. I think the other comment is correct, that you may like digital imaging if it is offered.   Do your extensive homework when going overseas and do not rely on advertisements and endorsements alone.  Never cost cut when having your nose done.  Followup is critical for nasal surgery to help you through the swelling and settling phase which can be lengthy in some cases. It will cost considerably more if you have an untoward outcome and have someone in the states fix it.   Study the subject matter, the surgical facility there, the conditions of care, and the surgeon extensively.  We all welcome such scrutiny!!!!!

Donn Hickman, MD

Who decides the rhinoplasty result

+1
Ideally both you and your surgeon can come up with a plan regarding what your nose will look like. 

I use preoperative digital morphing to simulate the possible results.This allow my patients to see how certain changes to the nose affect the overall facial proportions. This allows us to set our goals for surgery.

There can be limits regarding how much change can be made during rhinoplasty and your surgeon must use his or her judgement when performing surgery to make sure that a safe level of change is made.

It's hard to say for certain in your case without examining your nose, but it should be possible to make your nose smaller than it is now. A chin implant would be helpful in balancing out the lower portion of your face as well.

You can read more about preoperative digital morphing for rhinoplasty surgery at my web reference link below.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Rhinoplasty and chin implant combination

+1
Computer imaging is a good way to communicate the anticipated results, especially with the combination of a rhinoplasty and chin implant. The rhinoplasty procedure involves narrowing, refining and de-projecting the nose, while a chin implant increases the projection of the chin. Both procedures help significantly with facial balance. For many examples of this combination, please see the link below to our rhinoplasty/ chin implant photo gallery. will

Rhinoplasty and Chin Implant Consultation

+1
Dear bonbon35~

Thank you for your question and photos. It looks from your photos that your nose could be made smaller, although you would need a full exam to determine how this would effect your breathing.

During your consultation, you should definitely tell your surgeon what your concerns are and how you would like your nose and chin to look. Your surgeon will review your photos with you and discuss with you whether your goals are attainable.

You can certainly ask your surgeon’s opinion about what types of changes to your nose or chin would work well with your face, but the most important factor in setting surgical goals is what you want.

Best wishes!
Amy Hsu

Amy K Hsu, MD