If I Decided to Get my Nose Done Would the Surgery Be Complicated Because of my Hump?

I've done a lot of research, but I'm not sure how difficult the procedure would be. Please review my picture and give me an idea. Thank you!

Nasal hump

+1

Not at all. What i would be more concerned about from your photo is your high radix (the nose start point at the forehead junction) and your projection. These issues need to be addressed with your hump removal in order to avoid flattening and shortening.

West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal hump reduction is not usually complicated

+1

Dorsal hump reduction is one of the most commonly performed maneuvers in rhinoplasty surgery and it is usually not complicated.  Occasionally, this is the only thing that is needed during the procedure.  In my opinion, based on the somewhat distant photograph,  the angle that your lip forms with your nose is very good.  I would not recommend shortening the nose (elevating the nasal tip) since this could cause excessive nostril show on the frontal view.

Roger J. Oldham, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Wonderful anatomy with some traps for the surgeon

+1

You have delicate anatomy, but you have at least two traps that should alter rhinoplasty technique and that a pure reduction operation will not solve. 

One is the level at which your bump begins--below your lower lash margin. In a nose like yours, that changes the balance, and I would raise your radix slightly (about 1.5 mm) to give you maximal postoperative proportion.

Secondly, you have inadequate tip projection.  That only means that your tip cartilages are not strong enough to hold your tip up independent of the height of your bridge--the bump is partially  holding your tip up.  That means you need more tip support--in my surgeries, tip grafts (softened so they do not show).

Most secondary patients have one or more of only four anatomical variants.  You have two of them.  Your surgeon should make their treatment part of his or her preoperative plan--but you can get an excellent result.

Mark B. Constantian, MD, FACS
Nashua Plastic Surgeon

Standard Rhinoplasty

+1

Based on the pictures, your rhinoplasty will be fairly standard. The hump would be reduced and the tip elevated just a bit.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

No Such Thing as a "Simple" Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Cheer Girl,

Rhinoplasty surgery for you will not be complicated.  All that you need to do is show up and receive some anesthesia, and in what seems like one minute, you will be waking up in the recovery room with your new nose. Your most important and "complicated" thing to do is to choose your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully. 

Rhinoplasty is considered the most difficult of all plastic surgical procedures.  Every nose that is operated upon should be considered "complicated" by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.  If a rhinoplasty surgeon becomes complacent and takes for granted that the operation will be "simple" then problems may arise.

When you are ready for your rhinoplasty, take your time and consult with a few rhinoplasty surgeons.  Your chin is underprojected which creates an illusion that your nose is even larger than it is.  Whether or not you decide to have a chin implant with your rhinoplasty, make sure that your rhinoplasty surgeon includes a discussion of a chin implant to balance your profile. If not, move on to the next consult.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Getting rid ofa nasal bump

+1

Dear Cheer girl,

Wanting to get rid of a bump on the nose is a commonly requested reason for rhinoplasty.  It is relatively easy to do and does require the nasal bones to be repositioned (broken) to close the gap where the bump was.  Unless you have other problems that you need to have addressed with your nasal appearance, this can usually be done through a closed approach that doesn't involve any external incisions.  Your consultation with your rhinoplasty surgeon can help you decide what you would like to have done and what you want the final appearance of your nose to be.  This can be aided by computerized imaging which I insist on for all of my patients so that there is no confusion about what you want your nose to look like and what the surgeon thinks. 

Good luck.

Gregory Branham, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Its not just the hump

+1

It appears that you also have some tip ptosis (droop).  If you were just to fix the hump, your nose might look very long and the tip even more ptotic.  You want to get some tip rotation with your hump reduction for an optimal outcome.

Corey S. Maas, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal hump removal during rhinoplasty

+1

Based on your photos, your bump (dorsal hump) can be easily removed by using an osteotome and infracturing the sides of your nasal bones. This is quite common in rhinoplasty.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Rhinoplasty hump removal

+1

Rhinoplasty is one the most challenging procedures that we perform in plastic surgery.  Your issue is certainly not complicated but there are many nuances to this type of surgery.  I do not like to characterize nose reshaping surgery as complicated or easy for that matter.  In rhinoplasty surgery, correcting one thing may have an impact on another issue...so the key is that the surgeon that you chose should be well versed in all aspects of rhinoplasty.  Good luck.

Dr. Vasisht- South Shore Plastic Surgery

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Removing hump is often part of Rhinoplasty

+1

The size of the nasal hump doesn't make it;s removal any more or less complicated.  The removal, in my case, is performed by using a surgical osteotome to cut through the bone on the top and then along each side of the nasal bone where it meets the face.  It's fairly routine for a Rhinoplasty, IMHO.