I Was Trying to Decided if I Would Be a Good Canidate for a Subareolar Mastopexy or Periareolar Mastopexy? (photo)

I have round, small, saline breast implant that were done in 2003. I am an D-DD right now, and would like to be a true DD, so I want to swithch out my implants for a slight larger pair. I was looking for a lift to raise my breast and make them more taut. I dont want the other prcedures that would leave me with a visible scar. I've already been to two differnt doctors that dont think I need anything done. I disagree. Your advise would be very appreciated. Thank you

Mastopexy can be considered

+2

Your photo shows that you have "pseudoptosis" (the lower breast is lying below the fold), but minimal if any true ptosis (your nipple appears to be at or just above the level of your breast fold).

Therefore, if you are looking to revise your breasts, certainly some form of mastopexy can be considered.  Minimal is a circumareolar approach, if needed for more lift , next is a verical or "lollipop" including the circumareolar and adding a vertical down to the fold, then finally a "full" or "inverted T" adds a scar along the fold.  Of course, the minimal length scar that will accomplish your goals is the best choice, but sometimes you have to accept a more visible scar to achieve a better shape and appearance.

For example, a circuamreolar lift can result in flattening and scar distortion if more lifting is needed.

In your situation, a minimal lift may be a reasonable choice but that decision should be made after a good discussion with your surgeon regarding expectations.  Also, be cautious of increasing your implant size too much as that can lead to excessive stretching of your tissues and further droopiness.

Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Disagreeing with Plastic Surgeons

+2

Hello 111111,

Hmm.  You want to be bigger, well that's possible and relatively easy; I don't see why most docs wouldn't invite you to the operating room for that.  You want your breasts lifted and firmer, but you don't want scaring.  You present a photo of your breast which shows the subtle appearance of dropping out: a full upper pole that is low on the chest wall, a low nipple relative to your inframammary fold, and significant lower pole ptosis (sagging).  Well, this might be the problem issue for the docs: you want something that they can't deliver, except for the enlargement part.  I commend them for knowing not to get you and themselves in trouble.

I don't know what a subareolar mastopexy is, but a periareolar mastopexy will not change and probably make worse the overall appearance of your breast, except with the possibility of creating thickened, irregularly shaped scars and areolae.  There is no escaping the fact that you will need a formal mastopexy with periareolar, vertical, and probably inframammary scars to achieve your desired appearance.  If this is a deal breaker, you should do nothing and leave well enough alone. If you continue interviewing doctors, you WILL find someone who will do everything you want... except deliver the result that you expected.

Best of luck.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Mastopexy

+2
there is a case to be made 4 leaving well enough alone. you really do look pretty good as your 2 surgeons told you. trying to make things a little better you could end up with a real problem and be miserable. just a little conservative thought

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

2 key observations to determine if anything is to be gained from a breast lift.

+1

The bottome of the areola should sit at the level of or slightly above the inframammary crease (bottome of the breast).  The distance from the areola to the crease should be about 6 centimeters in a C breast (slightly more with increasing size.  It is impossible to tell from the photo.  It looks as thought capsular contracture might be a problem as well.

Mastopexy or not?

+1

One photo view is difficult to use to assess what you would/wouldn't need.  An in -office exam would be essential.

Breast Lift Indicated?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to give you good advice without direct examination and a very detailed discussion about your goals. There is simply not enough information provided in your description or your side view picture to give you good advice.

Additional consultations with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will be in your best interest.

Make sure you take your plastic surgeon carefully; ask to see lots of examples of his/her work for patients similar to yourself.

It's your call.

+1

w 2 surgeons have recommended to leave well enough alone.  Going from a D/DD to a "true"

DD is not very much difference. Tightening your breast will not show very much difference.

If you determined to do something, think about adding saline to the implant or replaceing

the implant with a larger one, since tightening (Mastopexy) will compress your breast to

a smaller size.  Periareolar maxtopexy would be the procedure of choice, but it will leave

a scar around your areola.  Don't know if it's worth the trouble or the money.

E. Anthony Musarra II, MD

Breast Implant Revision

+1
When a surgeon tells you they do not want to operate on you it is important to listen. There is nothing surgeons like better than operating. You can always find a surgeon willing to operate on you, but it might not be in your best interest.

Mary Lee Peters, MD