Can't Decide What Size Implants I Should Get? (photo)

I'm 5'5" 115-120 pounds 52 years-old, and active. My PS thinks I should go with a 400cc implant because of my breast deflation. I have done the rice test with an equivalent of 354cc and 392cc, I still can't decide. Any suggestions?

Can't Decide What Size Implants I Should Get?

+2

In the undecided patient I either recommend the larger size or waiting time period of 3 months so she can seek 3 in person additional opinions from boarded PSs in the area.

+2

The difference of 50 cc is very little, and this will be visually difficult to assess. Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentations each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

What size breast implant?

+2
Dear Mishcat, Unfortunately, photos in clothing really don't give us an accurate idea of what your current breast appearance is, or what your needs would subsequently be. If your plastic surgeon is an American Board of Plastic Surgery certified surgeon, then he/she is the best person qualified to recommend an implant size for you. If you are uncomfortable with the advice, seek a second opinion. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Implant sizing

+2

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Small implants and lift

+1
The best implants are small silicone gel placed retro-pectoral since they look and feel more natural, are more stable, less likely to ripple or have complications needing revision. 400 cc implants will not fit retro-pectoral, will extrude inferiorly and laterally requiring revision. The rice test is inaccurate because implants are not placed on top of your skin. You describe breast deflation so you should consider a simultaneous breast lift. There is a new technique that reshapes the breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevates them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage. Aligning the areola, breast tissue and implant over the bony prominence of the chest wall maximizes anterior projection with a minimal size implant. Best Wishes, Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Size for Augmentation?

+1

Thank you for your question and photos.

In addition to the rice test, the Mentor Volume Sizing System and New You Visualizer can be very helpful. I have attached a web link.

3D photography may also be helpful but is expensive and not very many plastic surgeons are willing to spend $35,000-40,000 on a 3D camera system. It is time consuming and not practical at this time.

When in doubt, most women and plastic surgeons go with the larger size of your two options because the implants look a little smaller inside you than they do stuffed under a bra.

To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons for a complete evaluation and to see if some sort of lift may or may not be necessary along with breast enhancement.

I hope this helps. Best of Luck!

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

IMPLANT SIZE

+1

It is best to show photos without any coverage of the breasts. Size is always a big issue. I would follow the recommendation of your PS or get a second opinion. 3D imaging may be helpful in your sitiuation.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon