I am trying to decide on a silicone implant size that will give me a natural look. How do I decide?

I am 39 yrs. old, 134 lbs. & 5'6. I want my breasts to look natural, not like 2 round balls. I have a small frame & have a 34A now. Will 400cc's be too big for me?

Choosing an implant for a natural look

+1
Choosing an implant is very much a personal choice. With that in mind there is guidance that a board-certified plastic surgeon can and should give you. Measurements should be taken during your examination and from there implant choices can be reviewed.

New Jersey Plastic Surgeon

Breast

+1

To best help you, please send in some pictures in order to determine which procedure and technique would be best for your case and that way come out with the best review.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD

Natural breasts

+1

No matter what size  you get, if you get capsules, your breasts may look round. Other than that get sized by your Dr. Put implants in you bra and pick a size and discuss with the surgeon what you want.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Breast implant sizing

+1
choosing an implant is a very big decision, and other than your choice of surgeon, is the most important decision that one makes when considering augmentation.  Simply selecting by volume alone can lead to an obvious and unnatural result, and I would suggest discussing the actual measurements of your chest width, pre-existing breast volume, breast position, and shape and style of implant as well as implant fill with your surgeon.  As well, a patient's stated desire of "natural" can be very ambiguous, as natural is what you have now!  I find that my best and most natural results are obtained when my patients allow me to help them select an implant that matches their pre-existing dimensions and proportions, much like finding clothes that fit you properly.  
As such it is very important to communicate your desired outcome and shape in specifics to your surgeon, so that your desires can be met.  A 400 cc implant might be a perfect fit for you, but it is critical to allow the surgeon to design your operation to meet your stated needs, after extensive discussion and examination.  As surgeons, we are very fortunate to have many different implant styles, shapes and sizes from which to choose, so you should be able to find an implant that fits you perfectly!  Ultimately you have to trust your surgeon to help you to select that ideal implant.  good luck!

Howard Silverman, MD, FRCSC
Ottawa Plastic Surgeon

Nothing is natural about implants

+1

but some do achieve natural looks... and I would suggest you ask your surgeon about using external sizers (but beware, there are some doctors that will adamantly refuse to use them) in an unlined bra and it will give you an excellent idea of what you will look like with that volume on.  A sizer equal to a cup and a half of rice in a nylon stocking will provide you an excellent simulation of what you desire.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast Implant Size

+1
A 400 cc Breast implant seems a little too large for someone your size and weight to achieve the natural look you say you wish. The best results in achieving natural results are achieved by measuring your body and breasts. This allows selecting a group of implants that will fit your body. This group will contain implants of similar base size but different projections (and, thus, cc volume). You can then select an implant from this group that will achieve your desired goal. 

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant size?

+1

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: your individual anatomy, desired outcome, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing sit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Deciding on Implant Size

+1
I don't think 400cc will look too big.  I really think you can look natural at almost any size.  I use a dual-plane technique which I think gives great natural results.  I also use 3-D imaging in the office to help you figure out what size looks great on you - because it really is difficult to picture what you will look like otherwise!  Best of luck!

K. Roxanne Grawe, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

+1

Thank you for the question. Unfortunately, online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as  “natural”  or “C or D cup”  etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

The use of computer imaging technology may also be very helpful during this communication process.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

I hope this (and the attached link) help.

Deciding on Breast Implant Size

+1
Deciding on breast implant size in not a one-size fits all decision.  I have found that the best way is to use our VECTRA 3D breast imager in our office.  With this system, we take a 3D picture of your body and can use the software show show you simulated images of the actual implants in your body and what they may look like after surgery.  Patients have found this very useful in choosing implants to be able to see what different base widths, projections and implant styles (anatomic versus round) look like in their body.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD