What Should I Decide for my Revision Rhinoplasty?

I definitely need revision because of my inverted v and nasal valve collapse. I had 2 rhinoplasties the 1st one was only septoplasty, the 2nd cosmetic surgery(overresection). Now I need rib for DC-F. But my father is terrified and say he wont let me and donor rib is my only option. But I'm concerned about long term result I want to make this the last surgery on my nose. I read controversial opinions about this subject(IHCC) from different doctors. It makes me hopeless. what should I do? I'm 19

+1

The donor cartilage may be a viable option.  This option may be avoided depending upon how much cartilage is needed.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Revision Rhinoplasty Decision

+1

I cannot help you resolve the debate with your father. You should not be hopeless; there are revision rhinoplastry specialists who  can improve the appearance of your nose. Without seeing you or examining your nose I cannot tell you if rib grafts are necessary, however over the past 35 years I've found that they are rarely necessary. Pictures and more history would be helpful.

Revision Rhinoplasty and rib graft

+1

I'm sorry you're having to have surgery again.  I hope your result is better this time.  Rib cartilage harvesting from your own rib creates some rib pain that may require in-hospital care for a day or so; this can be expensive, would create a hidden scar under your breast, and may require more pain medicine for the first few days than your first 2 surgeries but still doable.  Donor rib is great because it avoids the above but you still get a strong piece of cartilage that is abundant enough to provide grafts to rebuild and stabilize your nose.  I would not recommend synthetic dorsal grafts if you've had 2 previous rhinoplasties.  I would speak with a revision rhinoplasty specialist who has experience with all types of grafts as well as functional rhinoplasty so you can breathe.  Good luck

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon