How Do I Decide on How Many Cc's and What Profile?

I have a consultation with a PS in two weeks. I would like to be a bit educated on sizing before I go in. What measurements do I need? My rib cage is 30" and I am a 34B or a 32A. I want to be either a full B or small C after my ba, but I want whatever size/profile fits my body and looks natural.

PLEASE do not micromanage your breast surgery

+2

It is very important to understand that you will only compromise your outcome and your relationship with your surgeon by micromanaging your breast surgery by trying to make decisions in this fashion.

Believe me- the very best advice anyone could give you is to spend your time and energy researching surgeons (not techniques)... Find a surgeon you like and feel you can trust, and then, yes- TRUST them to do their best to achieve your goals.

Please read this for a better understanding of how to achieve the breasts you dream of:

Implant Size Does NOT Correspond to Cup Size

+2

The hardest thing for women to understand is that implant volume (CC) does not correspond to a definite cup size.  The same implant can look totally different on two different people.  There are so many implant sizes and profiles, that it really depends on alot of variables - your breast width, your chest width, your height, shoulders, hips, chest wall, etc.  All of these things come into play.  Your surgeon should address all these things, and that will lead to an optimal implant size to get you where you want to be, but also minimizing complications.  Without seeing you, it is hard to really say, but based on your information, it probably would be around a 300cc-325cc implant.  In terms of profile, all of the profiles can look natural, as long as the implant is not too large.  It is a myth that the modertae plus or HP implants look un-natural.  All look natural as long as you respect the tissues and try and not go too large with the implant itself.  I hope this helps. 

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

How to pick shape and size of breast implants.

+2

1) This is the most common type of question on RealSelf.

2) It is the surgeon's job to pick the right breast implants, not the patient's. Implant selection is really pretty technical.

3) Make sure your surgeon REALLY understands the look you want. Mentioning a cup size is not enough. Show your surgeon pictures of breasts you like.

4) Then your surgeon has to tell you if your chosen look is realistic for your anatomy. The most common mistake is to go too big.

5) I recommend that the surgeon NOT make a final implant choice in advance, because this is just an educated guess.

6) The surgeon should have a large inventory of different size and shape implants available in the operating room.

7) Then the surgeon can put sterile disposable implant SIZERS in your breasts during surgery, to see what a particular implant really looks like inside you. This is how to make the best choice. A sizer costs only $45, and takes all the guess work out.

8) Finally, the sizer is discarded, and the correct breast implants (based on what you want and on your anatomy) are opened from the operating roon inventory, and put in your breasts to complete the operation.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Proper Implant Selection

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

+1

Check out the video series below to help you learn more about breast sizing and implants. This is a complex process.

Sizing of implants

+1

During your consultation, the doctor should go voer all of this. He will examine you , perform some measurements and discuss with you the options.

One breast hard and the other soft

+1

This is a very personal decision that you should discuss with the choice of surgeon. Try to go a liitle larger than you want so you can not say after surgery, "I wish I would have gone bigger!" Also I like the High Profile smooth rounds.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Decision Process involved in picking THE BEST Breast Implant FOR YOUI

+1

For a minute, forget the cc's, the much hyped and unreliable cup sizes, the rice bags etc, etc. To get the Best breast implant for your body, you must FULLY understand the way one SHOULD analyze and pick implants.

Each woman has a unique and asymmetric set of breasts. Not only are her breasts slightly different but the rib cage and muscles underneath the breasts also differ slightly (and worse with scoliosis).

Despite the huge strides in breast implant technology, ALL implants are made up of a silicone shell which when put on its side ripples. Saline implants ripple MORE than silicone gel implants. Therefore, all breast implants need to be regarded as flawed, rippled booster seats.

To get the best appearing results, we need to pick a booster seat (implant) which fits the width of our chest (without falling off of it sideways or blocking the forward movement of the arms AND which can be covered by your present breast/muscle tissues. The MORE tissues that can be put on the implants, the less the ripples will be visible or palpable. (SO if you put an medium-large implant under the breast/over the muscle of a small breasted (A-B) woman - you WILL have visible fold ripples, especially when leaning forward). Measuring you present breast diameter will give the surgeon an idea of the width of an implant that could be covered by that breast.

All American produced implants (Mentor and Allergan/Natrelle) come in LP (low profile), MP (moderate profile) - for Mentor ONLY MP+ (moderate profile Plus) and HP (high). Based on you expectations, the surgeon can then pick several implants which come closest to your idea of the best breast.

I very much like the Mentor MP+ Saline and Mentor HP silicone gel implants as they produce great results. I have used HP implants and they do have a role in very petite women who want more implant projections (IE "frontage") but the vast majority of women in the SOUTH love the look of the MP+ implants.

That is how I would recommend you start your breast implant choice. Being petite you may want to consider silicone gel implants as they are lighter, ripple less and may therefore be a better choice in a woman without a lot of breast tissue to cover an implant.

Good Luck.

Dr. P. Aldea