How Do I Decide How Much Breast Reduction I Want or Need to Get Done?

I am 5'9", wear a 38DDD bra, and I want smaller breasts, but how do I know what size?

Breast Reduction and Resulting Cup Size?

+1

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery. It is one of the most patient pleasing operations we performed.  

Unfortunately, there is no direct correlation between the amount of tissue removed and the ultimate cup size that a patient will wear after breast reduction surgery.

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.‚Ä®Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

Deciding on the size for breast reduction result

+1

This is an outstanding question and there is no computer program that can provide this answer for your. Meet with a plastic surgeon and discuss your goals. Together you can formulate an approach and get an idea of realistic expectations that will work best for you.

Breast reduction

+1

It is a personal decision between you and the surgeon. Discuss look at photos, have ALL issues addressed. Than hopefully you will reach a decision. Best of Luck.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Breast reduction size

+1

You should discuss the size you want to be with your plastic surgeon. I have the patient give me all the input that they can so I know and can plan how much to remove. Unfortunately, once removed, it does not usually grow back! I usually leave more because it still decreases with time. I am offering a temporary price reduction for all cosmetic surgery and excellent financing. Watch my videos!

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction cup size depends on your aesthetic sense as well as insurance requirements

+1

Assuming that your surgeon has preauthorized your procedure, specifying how much weight per side should be removed, you should still brief him/her on what you would accept.  Without knowing your age, parity (previous pregnancies)and body build, but given your height and bra band width, 38, I would think that a "C" cup would be appropriate.  Do recall that large breasted women can experience some recurrence of the original condition, with weight gain, subsequent pregnancy and/or menopause.  Breast reduction is a procedure, which is increasingly being denied for coverage by Insurance, so if you are going to be responsible, your priorities should be respected, as much as possible.  good luck.

Lavinia Chong, MD

Breast size after reduction

+1

The final size of your breasts after a breast reduction should be discussed with your doctor. The reality is that if you have very large breasts to begin with they can probably be safely reduced to a C or D cup. Trying to shoot for say a "B" cup is probably unrealistic and probably not proportionate with your body although I could not be sure without formally examining you.

Picking Cup Target with Breast Reduction Surgery

+1

Most medical insurance companies still regard Breast Reduction surgery as RECONSTRUCTIVE (not Cosmetic) Plastic Surgery but an increasing number do not and refuse to pay for the operation. Coverage depends on YOUR individual policy. The operation is designed to relieve a large amount of breast weight which is causing breast, neck and shoulder pain, interferes with exercising and is associated with rashes. In most cases the companies either specify exactly HOW MUCH needs to be removed from each breast OR leave it up to a formula based on your height and weight. Obligatory weights vary from 500 grams to much higher.

When we remove this amount of breast weight it impossible to accurately predict the exact post-surgical cup size that it will translate into. In many cases, the breasts are in the full C range but this is far from predictable.

Pick a qualified Plastic surgeon check www.PlasticSurgery.org). Make sure you are educated on what you need to know and you will have a good result.