Artefill or PermaLip?

I'm Trying to Decide Between Artefill and Surgsil Permalip. I'm 55. I had some Artefill 3 years ago but not enough. Now I'm thinking of Permalip but I'm concerned that might make the shape unattractive and I'm concerned the implants might move around.

Do NOT do permanent injectable fillers in the lips if you don't want problems later.

+3

Lip implants are really the only permanent way to augment the lips with a natural look and with less problems down the line.  Artefill is a great filler for the nasolabial areas or cheek augmentations but i wouldn't inject it in the lips;  nor would i inject silicone, fat ,  nor radiesse.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Permasil works well

+2

I have used the Permasil implants for over five years. They have kept their shape and I have not had one problem. All the patients are happy with the results. They come in various sizes. Most patients have been using a dermal filler such as Juvederm or Perlane and finally decide on a permanent implant.I would not recommend Artefill for the lip ,because of the fact that you have to adjust in multiple layers andmany times and if you are too superficial ,the Artefill can be palpable.

Joseph M. Perlman, MD

ArteFill for permanent lip augmentation

+2

ArteFill is a particularly bad filler, in my opinion.  I have seen several patients with chronic swelling that increases over time.  It is only partially correctable with surgery.  In some cases the swelling causes a disfigurement.

The histologic appearance is very similar to that of silicone in tissues.

The ArteFill runs through tissues like oil through cloth. It is only removeable when healthy tissue is removed along with the ArteFill stained tissue.

So are you sure you want to put ArteFill in your lips?

We prefer to place autologous fat-fascial grafts, which in our practice we call LiveFill, for a much softer, better tolerated lip augmentation.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Non-permanent lip fillers are best for lip augmentation

+1

Non-permanent lip fillers are best for lip augmentation. When results are not pleasing it is improtant to be able to reverse the changes.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

I would not use either Artefill or Permalip in the Lip

+1

I am a big fan of Artefill but it can be disastrous in the lips.  It is about the only area in the face that Artefill really is not a good option for.  It can get hard and lump there.  I also hate all surgical lip implants as they look and feel oftentimes unnatural, can shrink, get infected and look like balloons.  Watch the attached video to understand why I simply do not like lip implants.

As far as options for lips are concerned, if someone is very young I prefer juvederm or restylane which are options that disappear over time. For someone over 30 to 35 years of age I prefer silicone injections (done conservatively and artistically) because they are not only permanent but softer in appearance and feel.  The reason that I prefer temporary products in younger patients is that I want them to age well for someone as they get older.  In any case I tend to be pretty conservative with my lips so that I think they age well over time, especially because I focus more on the bottom lip, which can age much better than the top lip which can lengthen over time.

best wishes,

Dr. Sam Lam, Dallas, Texas

Samuel Lam, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Implants versus filler

+1

Perma Lip implants work very well, and we have many patients who have been happy with them for years. The nice thing about these implants is that they are easily removed if a paitent changes their mind. Artefill can be permanent and may cause inflammatory reaction in the lips.

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Perma Facial Implants to the Lips Work Very Well for Selected Patients

+1
I would avoid Artefill in the lips.  Any potential problems that develop would be difficult to treat.  I think Artefill is an excellent option for nasolabial folds.
The Perma Facial Implant is an excellent permanent option for lip augmentation, when used for the appropriate patient.  My patients have been happy with the results.  I have not had to remove one yet, but the beauty of this procedure is that it is easily reversible in the office.  This is a soft solid silicone implant that is available in different sizes.  It is not injectable silicone.  In my experience, the medium and large sizes are the most commonly used.  An in-person consultation would be your first step to see if you are a candidate.

Anurag Agarwal, MD
Naples Facial Plastic Surgeon

Artefill and permalip

+1

I would not use either permanent product in the lip or for that matter in any area. These products  can develop problems that may not be correctable.

Lip augmentation

+1

permanent fillers require extreme expertise or you will have permanent problems.

Silicone is NOT FDA approved as a filler.

proceed carefully, consult a BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON (AMERICAN BOARD OF PLASTIC SURGERY)

Silikon-1000 may be used by experienced physicians for permanent, natural lip augmentation.

+1

Silikon-1000 is a permanent filler, so your results, good or bad, are permanent. My experience with Silikon-1000 for lip augmentation has been excellent. Several treatments (1-3) are typically necessary to obtain a desired result, and in my practice, problems are infrequent. You must find a reputable dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon experienced with the serial puncture, micro-droplet technique. You should also have a discussion with your doctor about the FDA's position with respect to using Silikon-1000 in an off-label fashion to enhance your lips. Lastly, you should see many before and after photos demonstrating beautiful results before you pick your doctor and proceed.

This is my filler of choice for permanent Lip Augmentation.

I've attached a link to my Lip Enhancement photos for your perusal.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon