Decent Distance Vision but Poor Close Vision with Monovision Surgery?

Ten days ago I had Wavefront Lasik on both eyes. I opted for Monovision. My distance vision is fine but my reading vision is useless (for reading). I was told that it takes time for the eyes to "settle" and it would take about three months to determine if I need a "touch up". Is this correct?? Also, my eyes are dry and I'm constantly using artificial tears which make my eyes goopy. Is Restasis (cyclosporin) a good option?

Laser Eye Surgery for Monovision

+2

Ten days is far to early to judge if you will need a touch-up.  I agree that it will be three months before you are certain of your outcome or even longer depending on how large a treatment (how much of a prescription you had before the surgery) you have had.  There are lots of great treatments for dry eyes.  Restasis has been shown to be effective in numerous clinical studies. Other good options are punctual plugs, doxycycline, and the most permanent and definitive treatment: Intense Pulsed Light therapy.

San Diego Ophthalmologist

Distance vision after monovision

+1

it depends if you were nearsighted or farsighted to begin with. if you were farsighted to begin with, you should notice an immediate improvement after your monovision. if you were nearsighted to begin with, you won't notice any improvement, as your reading vision will actually be a bit worse than it was before, simply because one of your eyes is now no longer nearsighted and is now seeing well for distance, not near

so it's not really true that your eyes need to "settle down"--they should have told you that as a person who was intially nearsighted, your distance would be dramatically better, and your near vision would be ok, but actually a bit worse

Emil W Chynn, MD, FACS, MBA

Park Avenue LASEK

NYC

Emil Chynn, MD
New York Ophthalmologist