What cream would you recommend to treat my scars after Tummy Tuck and Liposuction? (photo)

I had Lipo and a Tummy Tuck 4 weeks ago. So far all I've been advised to do is massage the scar with lotion. Where can I find the gel and tape that you speak of and how many times a day do you change it? Thank you! Kim /Boca Raton, FL

Ask about embrace

+2
It is an expensive treatment but well worth the cost. It is sheet of silicone that can shrink down to help hold the scar in good position while it heals.

What cream would you recommend to treat my scars after Tummy Tuck and Liposuction?

+2
There are many effective products you could use after a tummy tuck procedure, scar-guard, mederma , silicone strips. Follow up with your surgeon to see which one he recommend better for his/her patients.

Mel T. Ortega, MD

Scar treatment after tummy tuck

+2
Massage of the scar is a great idea. It is all that I specifically recommend to my patients as well. There are so many scar creams, gels, lotions, and other topical treatments that you could also be using. Whether or not they truly help the scars is a matter of debate. Several of the scar therapies that you can get at your local drugstore include Mederma, Scarguard, Scarfade, and silicone sheets. The recommended application instructions for each are found on the packaging. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Scar care after tummy tuck

+1
Thank you for your post. In tummy tuck and other lift/tightening surgeries, tension is the enemy. The scar is healing gradually over 12 weeks or so, and until it is strong, it is the weakest link. As there is a great deal of tension in tummy tucks, body lifts, breast lifts, etc., the scar is at high risk of 'stretching' or widening. Silicone sheeting, although having the ability to make a scar flat, does nothing to prevent stretching of the scar. Creams or steroids or lasers also do not have the ability to prevent stretching of the scar. Those are used if scar is thick or dark, but not to reduce the wideness of the scar, which is the main problem. Massage also does not help keep the scar thin, and can actually worsen the scar in the first 12 weeks because you are actually adding tension to the scar. Massage is for softening a hard or thick scar, but if used early, will hasten the scar widening. Only tension reduction has the ability to keep the scar as thin as possible. You may notice in a lot of tummy tuck scars that the center portion of the scar is the widest with the sides toward the hips being the thinnest. This is because the maximum tension is at the center, and least amount on the sides. Embrace removes a lot of the tension by putting more tension on the skin on either side of the incision and drawing the incision together. It is expensive though at about $100 per week for 12 weeks. When patients do not want to spend the money for embrace, I tape the incision trying to remove as much tension as possible for 12 weeks and recommend no stretching back and to sit most of the time, keeping tension off the scar.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Creams post op

+1
There really is no one best cream.Each patient will respond to different creams etc.Mederma is the best known and also Kelcote and silastic gel strips.I bet you could google them and they would be available if not at your doctors office.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

+1
ALWAYS best to ask your Boca Plastic Surgeon so you are following your chosen surgeons advise. It takes a quick phone call to him/her...

Healing scars are best left alone.

+1
There is no evidence that any topical treatment improves the outcome of scars. Massage my actually release histamine and create more scarring. Best to just make sure nothing irritates the healing incision.