Is it Possible that I Have an Infection After Transconjectival Eyelid Surgery with Fat Transfer? (photo)

I had undergone transconjectival eye lid surgery with fat grafting & implant before 5 years. Recently (since last 15days), I developed swelling and pain in my left lower eye lid exactly around where my implant is (please see the photograph attached). I don't have any abnormal discharge or redness around my eyes. Would you please let me know is there any possibility of displacement of implant or any suspected infection or both?

Is it Possible that I Have an Infection After Transconjectival Eyelid Surgery with Fat Transfer?

+1

Delayed infections of an implant in that area are rare, but can happen, I think seeing your surgeon and getting started on some broad spectrum antibiotics is indicated for now.

Infection after implant very possible

+1

Infections after fat grafting would be quite unlikely 5 years out. However an implant can get infected at any time. I've seen infection 10 years or more postop  with implants. You would also have redness and pain with infections. See your surgeon as soon as possible, as infections around the eyes can be very dangerous to your vision.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Possible infection around implant.

+1

Yes, there is a possibility of implant displacement and / or infection.  While either would be rare after 5 years of no problems, it is not normal to have swelling and pain as you are having.  Longstanding implants of all types can be infected years after they are placed, from getting "seeded" by bacteria in the blood.  You should see your plastic surgeon immediately for an examination.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

+1

You should see the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that did your eyelid surgery for evaluation.

Infection after transconjunctival lid surgery

+1

After five years, infection from a transconjunctival lid procedure seems remote, though you do mention some sort of implant. If the implant is synthetic, trouble could be at hand and you should see your surgeon immediately.

peterejohnsonmd.com

Infection after facial implants

+1

Infections around implants can be obvious or hard to assess. It depends how long it has been going on, what type of bacteria are involved and the makeup of the capsule/glycocalyx around the implant. This is something that your surgeon needs to evaluate face to face. You could have had a transient flood of bacteria in the bloodstream from something as innocuous as dental work that seeded the tissue around the implant. Because of the inherent dangers of ignoring a possible infection around the eye you need to see your surgeon yesterday.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

This may be inflammation but it could be an early infection.

+1

I recommend that you call your surgeon immediately and have your surgeon personally assess what is going on.  There are signs and symptoms what help determine what this might be but there is no substitute for actually personally seeing your surgeon.