How can I find a good revision surgeon?

Had no insurance and was "treated" with the worst, laziest nasal septo/fracture reduction job ever. Very unhappy and in need of a potenital rib cartiliage reconstrcution to make things right again. Have lost 2/3 of my hair directly from the careless nose job and am banned from the local university because of too much late knowlegability and question's as I went to the wrong dcotor there/ not the rhinologist and cannot see him because of it.  Any recommendations on how I should go about finding a revision doctor?

Revision rhinoplasty: do more homework this time

+1

Hello;

In all fairness, it sounds like you have not had good luck with some of the your medical care.

I find that, for all of us, the more homework we do in the selection of any professional - whether it be a accountant, lawyer, dentist, or physician - the more likely we are to be satisfied. 

Frankly, I am not tooting my own horn, but I spent 10 years in preparation to write a book about this very subject.  The book , SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON, has all the advice that one  need to make the best possible selection of a plastic surgeon.  There is a chapter on that very subject.

I would advise you to check it out and to heed the lessons stated in the book.

In summary, the bare essentials are: 

1. Board certified in either plastic or head and neck surgery.
2. The majority of the practice is nasal surgery - both cosmetic and functional.
3. Fellowship trained in facial cosmetic surgery with an emphasis on nasal surgery.
4. Minimum of 10 years experience in practice.

When you go for a consultation, be sure to see dozens of examples of the surgeon's work in his/her before and after nasal surgery pictures.

If you read the book and follow the above advice, it is not likely that you will stumble into the wrong operating room.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON

Revision rhinoplasty

+1

I would seek a board certified facial plastic surgeon who comes from an ENT background or a plastic surgeon who has done a lot of revision rhinoplasties since this is a more difficult procedure.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon