Is a Hip to Hip Incision Best for Body Contouring ?

Hip to hip

+6

If you mean a hip to hip circumferentially and this is for loose skin typically after significant weight loss. Then the answer is yes.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Body lift plastic surgery

+5

If you have lost a lot of weight, you may benefit from a body lift.  A lower body lift is also referred to as  circumferential body lift = belt lipectomy.  This procedure is essentially 3 procedures in one: extended tummy tuck + waist/lateral thigh lift + buttock lift.  The buttock lift can also include buttock augmentation.  The lateral thigh lift will help contour the lateral aspect of your thighs.  The procedure can taken between 5-7 hours depending on the amount of tissue/skin that needs removal/treatment.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.

Dr. Sugene Kim

Sugene Kim, MD

Incision chice for Body Contouring

+4

The length of incision is directly proportional to the amount of skin laxity.    

1. Standard Tummy Tuck will address loose skin of the abdomen between the hip bones.   2. Extended tummy tuck will also address loose skin of the hips and flanks.                        3. Body lift or belt lipectomy will address all of the above, along with loose skin of the outer thighs, back, and buttocks.

I would recommend consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in body contouring after massive weight loss.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

TUMMY TUCK

+4

When I describe my tummy tuck incision I always say we are going hip to hip because if you dont you get big ugly dog ears. I simply explain to people that the goal is to change the shape of your body and provide the best contour. A mini tuck has a big scar with a bad result so why not add a few more inches to the scar which fades anyways and get the results you came for! GOOD LUCK

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Bodylift, Dr. Adibfar, Plastic Surgeon Toronto

+3

Hello;

If you are talking about a body lift also known as circumferential bodylift then the incision would follow 360 degrees around your waist however hidden below your bathing suite.

Thank you

Ali Adibfar, MD, DDS

A Lot of Fluid Drainage After Lower Body Lift, Seroma Concern?

+3

A hip to hip incision is best if the laxity extends hip to hip. As a general rule, the incision should extend about 1 to 2 inches beyond the area of laxity. The recommended length will not be the same for all patients. 

+3

The length of the incision should only be as long as is the area of tissue laxity. Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of body contouring procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.                     Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Incisions for Body Contouring

+2

Thank you for your question. Every one's situation is different and for some this is needed, and for others, a smaller incision is adequate. See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for expert advice on this surgery. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Options for body contouring

+2

Not necessarily.  Some women (and men) have had great results with liposuction alone instead of a tummy tuck.  There is no replacement for a one-on-one consultation with an ASAPS member board certified plastic surgeon for evaluation and to discuss your desires and needs.  The decision to go for a tummy tuck (with the larger incision) or liposuction (with several small incisions) has to do with your needs, comfort, your anatomy and the end result you desire.  You might even benefit from a more limited “mini-tuck” which uses a smaller incision than a full tummy tuck- if your fullness is only below the level of your umbilicus(belly button).  Are you getting the picture that a an informative consultation from an experienced board certified plastic surgeon is your next step to get more personalized answers to your question?

Steven Yarinsky, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Incision length is only what is necessary

+1

Incision length is only what is necessary to get the areas contoured correctly. Speak with you plastic surgeon regarding specifics of your case.

Raj S. Ambay, MD