Outside Fat. I am scheduled to have a TT with lipo of the flanks?

I am 69 inches and 225 pounds. I carry my weight in the abdominal area (arms and legs are thin in comparison). At my pre op appointment my Dr. said that my fat is mostly on the outside fat which I took to mean subcutaneous. Does this mean that when he does the procedure that my love handles will be gone completely?

Some Fat May Remain

+2

Thanks for your question. I'm concerned that with your present height and weight, it will be difficult to remove all of the excess fat of your love handles with liposuction and tummy tuck surgery alone. Before any body contouring procedure, most plastic surgeons recommend that patients are close to their goal weight. Fat that is removed during these procedures should ideally be stubborn fat that remains despite the patient having a good diet and exercising regularly. In order to fully get rid of your love handles, you may need to make some lifestyle changes to help you shed the extra pounds. Good luck.

I bet it doesn't all go away

+2

I bet that at your height and weight you will still have some fat in these areas after your surgery. I would discuss your plans and expectations with your surgeon. See if he/she has pictures of patients starting with similar body types. Liposuction and abdominoplasty can only remove so much tissue safely and at your BMI you should seriously consider weight loss using diet/exercise prior to your procedure. Surgery is powerful but is not a cure by itself. I hope this answer helps! Good luck!

Evan Sorokin, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

Love handles and tummy tuck

+2

Although that may be the intent of your tummy tuck with liposuction of the flanks I am sure there is no garauntee that the love hendles will be gone. The only way to make that garuntee is to completly cut out the skin and fat. Obviously that would make a bigger scar.

As a general rule, before you undergo a procedure you and your surgeon should be having the same expectations regarding the results. Trouble arises when the patient thinks one type of result and the Dr is expected a different result. This requires a lot of communication. Don't be afraid to ask questions until you are secure in your expectations.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

+2

Whether or not most of the fat is removed will be more dependent upon what the surgeon does than what you have.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tuck procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Scheduled for surgery?

+2

Your BMI is 33.2. You can do the calculation yourself. Just Google BMI calculation. You should not have body contouring at this weight or you have an extremely high likelihood of being dissatisfied. You are at a higher risk to need longer surgery, higher blood loss, more fluid shifts, higher need for revisions, and lower likelihood to be happy with your initial post-operative body contour. But the good news is that YOU CAN DO IT. The fact that you are asking the question means that you're motivated and would like to be well informed. All of my patients are weighed pre-op and at each post op visit. A friendly scale avoids a plethora of post- op issues....complaints that you will ultimately pay for. So, put in the work now. Get your BMI in the 26-27 range. It may save you money, minimize risks, and increase your excitement with the new improved YOU!!

You're worth it. Put in the work on the front side. And send us a picture.

Larry C. Leverett, MD, FACS
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Love handles

+1

Despite aggressive liposuction, it is difficult to completely eliminate love handles. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but realistic expectations are important.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon