DDS: Should I Get a Full Mouth X-ray Series (12+) or Will One 3D CT Be Equally Good?

This is mostly for general dentistry needs . Have a few missing teeth maybe for implants. insurance will pay for one or the other. Which to get--need to choose now.

INTRA ORAL X-RAYS VS EXTRA ORAL X-RAYS

+1

If it is for general dentistry purposes, it is better to have a full mouth intra oral x-rays.  For more complicated procedures like implants, wisdom teeth extraction a three D x-ray will provide more information.

Also a 3 D x-ray is of no value to someone who cannot read or interpret the findings. It takes special training to acquire the knowledge.

A few years few now with more advancement in technology, my answer might be totally different.

Houston Cosmetic Dentist

FMX or 3D catscan?

+1

It depends what the dentist and you are looking for.... FMX is less radiations and less expensive many dental ins. will not cover Icat? If you have gum disease, or decay FMx may be better if TMJ, severe impactions or pathology Icat may be better good luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD     CEO Baystate Dental PC

Kevin Coughlin, DMD
Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Cone Beam vs FMX

+1

Both are invaluable and give different sorts of information.  The cone beam is much lower radiation and is critical to analyzing tooth and facial development.  It can help with orthodontic planning.  This combined with 4 bite-wing x-rays is pretty good.  You should definitely have BWs in addition.  if you have had a lot work in your mouth fillings crowns and Root canals then you should do both the CBCT and FMX.

Lawrence Singer, DMD
Washington Cosmetic Dentist

3D vs Full Mouth

+1

If this is mostly for general dentistry I would do the full-mouth series.  The Cone-beam 3D is excellent for difficult implant cases but not as good for evaluating periodontal conditions and decay.  % years from now that may no longer be true

Ira Shapira, DDS
Lake Forest Cosmetic Dentist