I Was a DDD Cup Before Surgery, I Was Promised C Cup, Four Months Later Still DD. What Now?

I was a DDD before breast reduction, after making measurements my surgeon told me that he could give me C cups. I agreed to surgery. Now four months later, I am DD, and he is denying everything he told me in consultation and is going so far as to insulting my intelligence! My husband witnessed everything that surgeon has told us during consultation. I don't know what to do at this point. What should I do?

Breast Reduction and Resulting Cup Size?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction after breast reduction surgery. Unfortunately, there is no way of reliably predicting or guaranteeing a specific cup size after this operation.  Also,  there is no direct correlation between the amount of tissue removed and the ultimate cup size that a patient will wear after breast reduction surgery.

It is possible that redo breast reduction surgery will be necessary to further reduce your breasts.   Before  undergoing this procedure it will be  very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  Most patients, like you, wish to achieve a enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso. 

With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small)  very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.‚Ä®Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

Breast reduction

+1

I personally  never guarantee a cup size because bra size is  so variable among the different companies, but if you feel that you are still too big, then you should figure out a way with your doctor to be satisfied.

Inadequate breast reduction: Now What?

+1

It is not always possible to predict breast size following breast reduction. An agressive breast reduction also has a higher risk of nipple and areolar necrosis. However, you must be seen for an examination to determine if another breast reduction is necessary or achieve your desired result with liposuction.

Cup size after Breast Reduction

+1

First of all, bra cup size can never be guaranteed after breast surgery. All bras fit differently and there is no standardization of cup sizes. Your surgeon needed to preserve a certain amount of tissue to ensure good vascularity of your skin and survivability of your nipple. You could ask your doctor for the amount of tissue he resected. Maybe he or she can clarify the significance of the amount that was removed. I would advise maintaining an open, honest, and neutral discussion with your plastic surgeon. If you can maintain a good doctor-patient relationship, I am sure your doctor will respond appropriately so that you are satisfied with your outcome.

Hayley Brown, MD