DD to B Cup? Is That Possible? Safe? Horribly Scarring?

I'm 22 and about 115 lbs. That being said, I wear a 32DD. I am horribly uncomfortable with the size of my bust and would like to feel as though my chest doesn't define my appearance. I understand this is a radical choice for self-image, but this is what I want to do. Could I get surgery to about a B cup? What risks are involved? Is the scarring worse? What options for surgery do I have? Any idea on cost?

Not ultimate

+4

A note regarding the"ultimate breast lift".  I think it is presumptuous and arrogant on any surgeon's part to name or describe a procedure they perform as ultimate.  Ultimate implies there is no better.  I was unaware that G-D answers questions on real self. I would like to point out  what I see as serious shortcomings of the ultimate breast lift.  Firstly, I think the shape is less than ideal.  If you look at all the ultimate breast lift results on side view, you will notice that thy are a bit flat in the region of the nipple/areola complex.   The ideal shape of a breast is one which gently peaks at the region of the nipple areola complex.  It is not possible to achieve this aesthetic shape without a vertical incision regardless of how much coning is produced under the skin.  Some of the reviews of patients that underwent that procedure complained about this finding.  Secondly, the claim that  with the ultimate breast lift one has "minimally visible scars."  This too is misleading.  It is well recognized by the consensus of plastic surgeons that of all incisions on the breast it is the horizontal incision that heals the poorest.  To avoid the vertical incision, which heals the best, and in exchange produce a horizontal incision, which heals the poorest, is interesting.  The response that a horizontal incision is hidden under the breast and therefore healing is not as critical is incorrect.  The horizontal incision at its ends is quite visible in the area of cleavage as well as lateral chest wall.  These incisions are quite obvious on the before and after photos of patients that underwent this procedure.   A woman with a poorly healed horizontal incision is forever unable to feel comfortable in a low cut dress or bikini   Finally, the claim that implants will not produce upper pole fullness and will actually work against the breast  lift is also not true.  That statement may be valid when the implants are placed in front of the muscle.  However, most implants today are positioned behind the muscle.  Proper placement of implants behind the muscle will support the weight of the implants so that very little forces, if any, are transmitted to the breast tissue outside it.   Therefore, the implants should have no influence on the breast to bottom out and drop.
Good luck,
Ary Krau MD FACS

Web reference: http://www.Arykraumd.com

Limits to size decrease with breast reduction

+3

There are no limits to what size you can decrease to - DD to B or C is a pretty standard request, especially for skinny girls with naturally big breasts. The scar is more dependent on your skin quality and quantity - for example, huge hanging breasts down to your waist, are just plain going to need a big scar (wise or anchor) to get down to a cute and adorable size. Extremely full round breasts with minimal droop often can get away with a "lollipop" scar (around the areolae and then down to the IMC (inferior mammary crease), under the breast) because the skin has not lost the elasticity. Surgeons talk about blood flow - this gets a bit technical here- but with superior/medial pedicle reduction they can get anyone down to a B. Hey, a tip for you, ask your surgeon to liposuction the lateral chest/bra strap area if you have any fat there at all - this fat becomes VERY noticeable if it is not taken care of during the reduction.

Breast Reduction Surgery To a Small Size?

+2

Based on your description you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.
Yes, breasts can be reduced to a very small cup size.   The concern with the amount of tissue removed is related to blood flow to the remaining tissue;  if too much tissue is removed in one operation the blood flow to the remaining tissue (including nipple/areola)  may be compromised.   Part of the tissue that is left in place is called the “pedicle"; this segment of tissue is responsible for delivering the blood supply to the nipple/areola tissue. If the pedicle is made too small (in the effort to reduce the breasts as much as possible)  then patient will likely have problems with tissue survival.   

The other concern with overly aggressive breast reduction surgery is patient dissatisfaction  afterwards.  It is not unusual for patients who have lived with very large breasts to want to have as much as possible removed. Care must be taken to be judicious in this removal to avoid an outcome where the breasts  are too small in relation (proportionately) to the patient's other body parts.  Again, it is not uncommon, for patients'  breasts to become smaller ( after the breast reduction procedure) with time and/or weight loss-  breast augmentation may become necessary to achieve the patient size goals.

Breast reduction to a relatively small size is not necessarily associated with “horrible scarring”.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastReduction.htm

What to know about breast reduction

+2

Breast reduction has one of the highest patient satisfaction rates despite the need for scars on the breast. There are different ways to do it, but for the amount of reduction you describe  you would probably need what is called a standard or "Wise" pattern. Keep in mind that the cup system for measuring breast size isn't really a volume measurement, as it depends as much on the dimensions of the chest as the actual size of the breast. The important thing is to reduce enough to make you feel better physically and in terms of appearance without overdoing it. Too much of a reduction can lead to an unsatisfactory shape.

Beautiful breasts are achievable with minimal scars

+1

Dear Nancy,

Ofcourse you can reduce the size of your bust without all the horrible scars. The Ultimate Breast Lift was developed using engineering principles combined with reconstructive techniques to design the ideal breast with minimal scars. The vertical scar is completely eliminated (despite degree of ptosis or breast size) because it inherently weakened the lift. Think about it. Why would anyone place an incision at the point of maximum tension? It doesn't make sense. Having a cut at this point often welcomed dehisence (wound separation) problems. With the UBL the breast is completely reshaped and securely anchored without using any foreign material. Breasts are perky, have upper pole fullness (without implants), and a natural youthful appearance. Women finally have a superior option to the anchor or vertical lifts that are architecturally weak. Do your research. This is a great start!

Kind regards,

Dr. H

Web reference: http://www.fastcodesign.com/1663319/how-one-surgeon-is-reinventing-the-female-breast-sfw

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction options

+1

You may be an ideal candidate for breast reduction.  Some of the best results are found in patients near their ideal body weight with disproportionately large breasts.  If you have an acceptable breast shape, you may consider liposuction breast reduction (scarless breast reduction) as an option.

Web reference: http://www.yorkyates.com/breast-surgery-utah/scarless-breast-reduction/

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon