DD to B Cup Size Breast Reduction for a 16 Year Old?

I am 16 and have DD cup sized breasts. I am 128 lbs and 5'0" tall. I am getting a Breast reduction soon and want to know if going from a DD to a B will be possible.

DD to B cup reduction

+2

It is technically possible to do this as Dr. Placik has said.  But over time you might wish to have saved a little volume, more like a C cup size.  If you go for a dramatic reduction, you will probably have more numbness and possible loss of breast feeding ability.

Breast Reduction Candidate

+1
There is not an age limit for breast reduction surgery. It is best to wait at least 1 year from the time that your breast finishes growing. This will allow for optimal correction, and minimizes the possibility that you need a 2nd surgery soon afterwards. In addition to being a candidate, you will need to be able to have parental consent and provide informed consent (or have your parent's provide informed consent on your behalf). When you are ready, consult in person with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

DD to B cup size breast reduction for a 16 year old?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question. In general, implant size does not correlate with bra cup size. The cup size itself will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer as well as who is doing the actual measurements. Thus, cup size is never a reliable indicator for your breast size. I typically encourage my patients not to communicate her desires in cup size but more on the actual look and appearance.  

Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory (e.g, implant type, incision, placement, lift, etc). I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative biodimensional planning and fitting the right implant or breast reduction for your breast width. 

Hope me that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Breast reduction

+1
impossible to answer your question without a physical exam.  please see a board certified PS to learn more about your options.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

DD to B Cup Breast Reduction: May Not be Advisable for Several Reasons

+1

Although it’s possible to perform a breast reduction of this magnitude, it may not be advisable for several reasons. In some cases, removal of large amounts of breast tissue might damage the blood supply to the nipple areola and the surrounding skin and increase the potential for complications.

It’s also important to consider the aesthetic implications of creating B cup breasts in someone who was previously a DD cup. Aesthetically attractive breasts have harmony, balance and proportion with the surrounding structures. For this to happen, larger, fuller breasts will be needed, possibly in the C cup range in most cases.

To obtain the best possible result from your breast reduction, it’s important to discuss these issues with your plastic surgeon before proceeding. This procedure has high satisfaction rates and is associated with long term health benefits. It’s important to realize that a definitive recommendation cannot be made without an examination and it’s also important that breast growth be complete. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

+1

Unfortunately, no one can give you a precise answer to your question.

It is however, very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I have found the use of pictures very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible ( although no system is 100% accurate).

Breast reduction for young patients

+1

Patients today have many great options in breast reduction surgery. Young patients should understand that their breasts will continue to grow and change at least until their early 20s. For this reason and to make sure that the patient understands the seriousness of the surgery, it is not recommended to perform a breast reduction surgery before the age of 18. Your best bet is to work with a board-certified plastic surgeon who has a great deal of experience in breast reduction and will be able to assess you and help determine what procedure will help you meet your needs and help you obtain a long-lasting results. Remember that you are quite young and the decisions that you make regarding surgery at this age you will live with for the rest of your life.

Pat Pazmino, MD

DD to a B

+1

Going from a DD to a B is probably not possible with a standard breast reduction.  This is because the pedicle needs to have enough tissue on it to allow the  nipple and areola to survive as well as the skin flaps to close. Think more like a C.

Breast reduction can likely produce a B-cup

+1

Breast reduction seems to work well in teenagers who are mature both physically and emotionally. The smaller breast size provides much greater comfort in general and for sporting activities in particular, and most patients feel much better about their shape and appearance.Probably a B-cup would be possible. Since most techniques leave the nipples attached, if you have children later in life, nursing would probably be possible, though most surgeons would caution you somewhat in this regard.

Michael D. Yates, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction for teenagers

+1

It is certainly possible to reduce the size of your breasts to one that is proportion to the rest of your body. At age 16 you may still have a hormonal influence on breast size and growth. In general we like for your breast growth to be stable for at least a year before planning a reduction.