DD to B Cup Size Breast Reduction for a 16 Year Old?

I am 16 and have DD cup sized breasts. I am 128 lbs and 5'0" tall. I am getting a Breast reduction soon and want to know if going from a DD to a B will be possible.

DD to B cup reduction

+2

It is technically possible to do this as Dr. Placik has said.  But over time you might wish to have saved a little volume, more like a C cup size.  If you go for a dramatic reduction, you will probably have more numbness and possible loss of breast feeding ability.

DD to B Cup Breast Reduction: May Not be Advisable for Several Reasons

+1

Although it’s possible to perform a breast reduction of this magnitude, it may not be advisable for several reasons. In some cases, removal of large amounts of breast tissue might damage the blood supply to the nipple areola and the surrounding skin and increase the potential for complications.

It’s also important to consider the aesthetic implications of creating B cup breasts in someone who was previously a DD cup. Aesthetically attractive breasts have harmony, balance and proportion with the surrounding structures. For this to happen, larger, fuller breasts will be needed, possibly in the C cup range in most cases.

To obtain the best possible result from your breast reduction, it’s important to discuss these issues with your plastic surgeon before proceeding. This procedure has high satisfaction rates and is associated with long term health benefits. It’s important to realize that a definitive recommendation cannot be made without an examination and it’s also important that breast growth be complete. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

+1

Unfortunately, no one can give you a precise answer to your question.

It is however, very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I have found the use of pictures very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible ( although no system is 100% accurate).

Breast reduction for young patients

+1

Patients today have many great options in breast reduction surgery. Young patients should understand that their breasts will continue to grow and change at least until their early 20s. For this reason and to make sure that the patient understands the seriousness of the surgery, it is not recommended to perform a breast reduction surgery before the age of 18. Your best bet is to work with a board-certified plastic surgeon who has a great deal of experience in breast reduction and will be able to assess you and help determine what procedure will help you meet your needs and help you obtain a long-lasting results. Remember that you are quite young and the decisions that you make regarding surgery at this age you will live with for the rest of your life.

Pat Pazmino, MD

DD to a B

+1

Going from a DD to a B is probably not possible with a standard breast reduction.  This is because the pedicle needs to have enough tissue on it to allow the  nipple and areola to survive as well as the skin flaps to close. Think more like a C.

Breast reduction can likely produce a B-cup

+1

Breast reduction seems to work well in teenagers who are mature both physically and emotionally. The smaller breast size provides much greater comfort in general and for sporting activities in particular, and most patients feel much better about their shape and appearance.Probably a B-cup would be possible. Since most techniques leave the nipples attached, if you have children later in life, nursing would probably be possible, though most surgeons would caution you somewhat in this regard.

Michael D. Yates, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction for teenagers

+1

It is certainly possible to reduce the size of your breasts to one that is proportion to the rest of your body. At age 16 you may still have a hormonal influence on breast size and growth. In general we like for your breast growth to be stable for at least a year before planning a reduction.  

DD breasts probably cannot be reduced to B cup

+1

In general, the size a breast can be reduced to depends on the shape of the breast before the reduction and on the position of the nipple. The lower the nipple is from the crease under the breast, the more breast tissue needs to be left behind to provide blood supply to the nipple. It is not possible to tell you that you can be reduced to a C cup without seeing you.

Your age brings up another issue too. At 16 you are young for a breast reduction. It is important that your breast size is stable. I would like to know that your breasts have not grown over the past year. Also, breast reduction surgery may affect your later ability to nurse, so it is important that you consider that before having this surgery. Recognize too that pregnancy and nursing change the shape of the breast and so the result you obtain with your reduction may be significantly different after becoming a mother. That having been said, if you are stable in size and understand how your breasts will change over time, 16 is not too young for a reduction.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction for a 16 year old

+1

I have performed this many times for young women in their teens. It gets to the point where the excess breast size gets in the way of anything you might want to do as a young women and can be quite difficult emotionally to deal with. Going to a "B" cupo is also not a problem. When someone is your age we do advise tham that there may be contimnued breast growth and in the future you may need another reduction by about age 21. But in the meantime, I think it is unfair to leave you with a breast that is simply unacceptably large.

Robert B. Pollack, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Wait until your breasts have stopped growing before having a breast reduction.

+1

Hi.

1)  In Manhattan, we wait until the breasts have not grown for at least one year before doing a breast reduction.  Otherwise, you may need it done again.

2)  Getting you from a DD to a B is quite possible.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)