I am considering a BA with a lollipop lift. Using 400cc gummi bears, over the muscle. I've had two consultations. (Photo)

My concern is over or under. I am a deflated C now, I'm 46 years old 5' 4" 160 lbs and athletic. I do Body-pump 3x weekly and run daily. My chosen dr said I have enough tissue to look great over he thinks with the amount of pec muscle I have going under May present problems, but I'm not a body builder by any stretch. I like the full rounded look of overs, I like not having my pec dissected. My only concern is Capsular Contraction. Any advice? Thank you.

Breast implants placed under the chest muscle with breast lift is a better option than under the breast.

+3
You certainly can achieve an acceptable result when breast implants are placed beneath the breast after a breast lift.  However your long-term risk of capsular contraction and the immediate risk of interference with blood supply to the nipple areola is greater with breast implants placed under the gland.

Placing the breast implants beneath your chest muscle provides protection for the blood supply of your nipple areola, reduces your risk of capsular contraction, and can result in better mammogram examinations in the future.

Breast Augmentation and reconstruction

+2
To answer your question of over or under...  In plastic surgery there is no right or wrong.  Rather pros and cons. This goes for breast augmentation as well. In general if you have enough tissue coverage I prefer to go over the muscle in either the sub glandular or sub-fascial level.  The fascia is a thin layer  above the muscle but it provides additional coverage to the implant making the superior portion look more beautiful. I think above the muscle looks and moves more naturally.  Given your story, dimensions and photos I would likely favour an above the muscle breast augmentation for you.  Your surgeon will be able to go over the things more carefully that will help you decide.
Dr. Rodger Shortt
Oakville Plastic Surgeon

Rodger Shortt, FRCSC

Over or under implants

+2
Thank you for your question about breast augmentation.

There are pros and cons to putting implants over and under the muscle.

Doing a lift with implants has a slightly higher risk of infection - under the muscle gives a little more protection.

And under the muscle makes capsular contracture less likely (it does not completely prevent it.)  

It sounds as though you want the implants over the muscle. It makes sense, provided you understand the pros and cons, the implants are not so large that your breast tissues cannot support them, and provided your surgeon agrees given the quality of your skin. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

I am considering a BA with a lollipop lift. Over or under the muscle?

+2
From your photo, agree that lift will be beneficial. As far as over vs. under, the best way to determine if over is okay is to pinch test the thickness of the upper pole tissues. (Google high five measurement breast augmentation for more details) If the thickness is sufficient, then over the muscle technically is okay. There are long term tradeoffs with respect to mammograms and capsular contracture when going over vs. under. My personal recommendation is under for those reasons unless there is really compelling reason to go over (e.g. competitive body builder). Good luck.

Eric Desman, MD
Alexandria Plastic Surgeon

Options and reality

+2
I think the amount of extra tissue requires a mastopexy for optimal results - otherwise you compromise the long term results. I prefer in most cases under the pect with early mobilization and return to activity. You should be able to continue everything you are active in - my most recent patient owns a gym and is super athletic. If you desire a fuller upper breast with an augmented look go with a round - but the shaped gummy bears give so much projection for their cc volume and basically negate issues of rupture that they are my favorite and I feel best choice for the majority of my patients.

Christopher S. Verbin, MD

Avoid lollipop vertical scars

+1
Your breasts are large and I recommend a new technique called The Ultimate Breast LiftTM.Instead of a lollipop lift, your breast tissue is reshaped creating upper pole fullness, elevated higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.Aligning the areola and breast tissue over the bony prominence of the chest wall maximizes anterior projection without the use of implants.This technique avoids the ugly vertical scars of the traditional technique, maintains nipple sensation and the ability to breast feed.There is no capsular contracture since implants are not required.Remember, the goal is to have beautiful breasts.Beauty is determined by several factors, not just volume and implants only add volume.More important is position of the breast on the chest wall, symmetry, upper pole fullness, cleavage, anterior projection, areola size and a tight skin envelope.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Can you get Breast Augmentation and a Brazilian Butt Lift at the same time?

+1
Over placement has a slightly higher risks of capsule formation. But your surgeon should have discussed this with you...??? 

You will be best served with a full Mastopexy with textured gel implants under your breast over the muscle

+1
You obviously have a lot of drooping breast tissue and it apears that you have enough tickness to the soft tissue of the upper pole of your breast to cover any ripples in the breast implants. From your photo it apears to me that you have quite a long distance from your imframary fold to the new nipple position so I would imagine that you would be best served with a reduction of that distance which will require a anchor mastopexy instead of a lollipop mastopexy. Putting the implant under the breast is always a better way to augment the breast if there is enough soft tissue in the upper pole. The data shows that there is a definite difference in the capsular contraction rate between smooth wall gel implants and textured gel implants in the sub mammary position. Because of that and several other reasons I would recommend Mentor textured (Siltex) implants. They ripple less, less capsular contraction and they don't bottom out or slide out the side of you breasts. 

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD