Is it difficult to cut dome binding sutures?

My tip was narrowed and I am unhappy with the result. I've read that you could cut the suture that binds the domes. how difficult is this maneuver?

Is it possible to cut the dome a binding sutures

+1
While it is possible to cut the dome binding sutures, that maneuver may not have any effect on the shape of the tip of the nose since the lower lateral cartilages are now held together with scar tissue. Additional cartilage grafting techniques such as a spanning graft maybe required to widen the narrow tip. It is a good idea to seek out an experienced  revision rhinoplasty surgeon for best results

+1
No, cutting the dome binding structures is not difficult.  This may help widen the nose.  It depends on how long ago your surgery was and how much scar tissue has formed. 

Jaime Perez, MD

+1
Cutting the suture is not difficult.  Once the area has healed, suture removal may not be enough.

Cutting dome binding sutures in revision rhinoplasty

+1
Dear Peonia,

• The answer to your question depends on whether or not permanent sutures were used
  • You can cut permanent sutures, but the scarring may leave the tip narrowed
  • To fix that, you may have to use a little cartilage grafting to release the dome, then set it in a place you want
  • If it has been longer than 6 months, it would be a good time to consider revising it if it really bothers you
  • Talk to your original surgeon, or if are not comfortable with that, seek out a rhinoplasty specialist who can address all of your concerns

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD