My doctor took collagen from my TT revision and inserted it into my lips for volume, is this also called alloderm? (photos)

My doctor took collagen material from my TT revision and inserted it into my lips for volume (is this also called alloderm?) Wondering if anyone has experience in this and what I should expect in the next couple of days/weeks. I am one day post op with these pics. Is this a more permanent filling than fat? Most posts discuss liquid collagen or material collagen from donor and there seems to be no sources for my topic. Any input would be appreciated.

My doctor took collagen from my TT revision and inserted it into my lips for volume, is this also called alloderm?

+1
Thank you for your question! AlloDerm technically is a brand name product made from Lifecell (others include FlexHD, AlloMax, etc.). It is an allograft harvested from cadaveric donors to a tissue bank. It is an acellular dermal matrix in which the cells have been removed, leaving a collagen mesh, in which, theoretically, your own surrounding tissue will grow within, vascularize, and it will serve as a collagen framework. When your own tissue is used, it is an autograft. Fat grafts are also a great modality for a volume filler. Autografts will likely resorb less than fat as it is known that some fat will will not take within its bed (somewhere between 60-90% will ultimately survive). Other fillers are those that you stated as well as temporary collagen fillers (e.g., Juvederm, Radiesse, Sculptra, etc.) Hope that this helps.

Alloderm is different from your own skin

+1
Alloderm is made from skin donated to skin banks. It is processed in a way that removes all of the cells so what remains is the collagen matrix that is the structural part of skin. Because this is identical in everyone, it is not rejected as an organ transplant would. Your own cells move in and transform Alloderm into living tissue. When your own skin is used in this way, it is called a dermal autograft. It will probably last longer than fat grafts to the lips. Swelling for the first few days is normal.

Richard Baxter, MD