Umbilicoplasty/mini Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I am 5'2" 115lbs, 3 children and 3 c-sections later i am left with an absolutely horrible tummy. I recently went to a dr for consult, he told me flat out there is nothing that any doctor could do for me. He said that yes I have the wrinkles, but the skin around it is too tight and not a candidate for tummy tuck. This can't be true! Did anyone else look like this and have it fixed?

Umbilicoplasty/Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

There are options out there for you but unfortuantley there are no really good options. Looking at your photos, you do not have enough skin for a full tummy tuck without having an unacceptably high scar. Becuase of the stretch mark and skin around the umbilicus, a mini tummy tuck would not be satisfactory. A mini tummy tuck with an umbilicoplasty will improve the appearance of your stomach but will still not give great results. A vertical tummy tuck would give you very good results. The problem with this is that you would have a vertical scar. I would beware of surgeons who tell you that they can perform a full tummy tuck, get rid of all your stretch marks, and keep your scar below your bikini line.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Perfect candidate for tummy tuck

+1

Hi,

When I see a patient for a tummy tuck consult, I tell them that the ideal candidate is someone who has had multiple kids and thus has loose skin and muscle and stretch marks, but not a lot of extra fatty tissue.Using those criteria, you are an excellent candidate for abdominoplasty (tummy tuck). The procedure would remove most of the loose skin below your belly button and pull that loose skin above the belly button much lower on the abdominal wall (thus tightening it). While the skin was raised, stitches would be used to tighten the underlying muscle and help control that lower abdominal bulge. I believe that you would have an excellent result from the surgery. Please find a board certified plastic surgeon to talk to and forget the bad advice from the first doctor you discussed this with.

All my best,

Daniel A. Medalie, MD

Web reference: http://www.ClevelandPlasticSurgery.com

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

PERFECT Tummy Tuck Candidate

+1

You BET "This can't be true!". Unless you have a medical or psychiatric issue you did not disclose I cannot understand WHY this doctor told you what he did. It is inexplicable and preposterous.  But - instead of getting upset, look at the positive side of things you walked away without making a major mistake and now you can make the right decision - a decision which would change your life for the better.

In the course of a SINGLE pregnancy, the normal uterus which is less than the size of a lime becomes the size of a oblong watermelon and PERMANENTLY stretches everything in its vicinity. The side and front tummy muscles are stretched and split and the overlying skin is stretched AND CRACKS (producing "stretch Marks" (what a misnomer...)). A single pregnancy causes these permanent changes and you did it THREE TIMES.  What this tells me is that there is a lot of room for improvement.

BUT - unlike some women coming for a Tummy Tuck, you maintained your weight and kept a very nice and lean figure.Therefore, a VAST improvement can be made to THIS figure resulting in a potentially spectacular result.

A Tummy Tuck would
- Flatten the tummy COMPLETELY
- Narrow the waist creating a very sexy hourglass figure
- lift a sagging mons pubis to a youthful position
- create a much sexier belly button
- and remove the C section scar

EXERCISE is great for you but will NOT change what needs to be done. I have operated on mothers who were body builders who despite spending hours working on their "abs" did a lot better when these pregnancy associated loose / stretched muscles were taken in.

Good Luck

Peter A Aldea, MD
Memphis, TN

Candidate for Tummy Tuck??

+1

You definitely need to search for another surgeon.  After viewing your pictures, I believe you are a perfect candidate for a Tummy Tuck.  A "mini" TT would not serve you well so you need to weigh out the pro's and con's of the scar.  Good Luck to you!

Reno Plastic Surgeon

Umbilicoplasty/mini Tummy Tuck?

+1

I am a little bewildered by the response you received at your consultation. It is time for another. From these photos I would say you are an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck--a full  tummy tuck, though. A mini-TT does nothing to improve the abdomen above the navel, and the excess skin that you have and the laxity of the abdominal muscles involve the entire abdomen. 

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.
Thank your for your question, best wishes.

Full TT

+1

Yes, I agree with the other opinions, you are an excellent candidate for a full TT and should have wonderful results, you are why TT were created!! Good luck and always seek a second opinion.

Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Full TT for you

+1

You are not a candidate for a mini TT, nor can you do nothing at all.  You can have a nice flat abdomen with a full TT just with maybe a little higher scar than some but certainly easily hidden.  Please see some other Board Certified Plastic Surgeons and get an in person exam and consultation as on line is no substitute.

Umbilicoplasty/mini Tummy Tuck?

+1

I'm sure by NOW you see that obtain more than one in person consult is soooo very important! Yes you are a candidate for a full TT with umbilicus repair. Just read the posters responses. 

TT

+1

I'm not sure what the person you saw was thinking, but based on your pictures I would recommend that you get a second opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon in your area. I think you could certainly be helped with a TT. 

Best of Luck,

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C) 

Umbilicoplasty/mini Tummy Tuck?

+1

You are most definitely a very good candidate for a full tummy tuck.  I can only imagine that the surgeon you saw does not do or have much experience with tummy tucks.  You have loose skin both above and below the belly button, and a mini or lower tummy tuck with not help the stretched out belly button or the skin above it.  You also have stretched fascia or a diastasis recti, and a full tummy tuck should fix this as well.  It is true that you do not have enough loose skin above the belly button to allow the old belly button hole to re-drape far enough down to be excised, and so it will be closed with a short vertical scar in the lower tummy.  Some surgeons prefer to raise the entire lower abdominal scar to a much higher position in order to avoid this vertical scar, but I think it is better to keep this long scar low and accept a small vertical scar instead.  In any event, perhaps your surgeon is saying that, because you cannot remove the old belly button hole, you shouldn't have a tummy tuck and should just accept your tummy as is. I think this is mistaken advice no matter what the reasoning.  Make sure you get another opinion from a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Web reference: http://www.seattleplasticsurgery.com/abdominoplasty-surgery.html