Is a Tummy Tuck the Answer? (photo)

I've lost 100 lbs. I'm 5'6" and weigh 145. I would like to lose another 10lbs. I've maintained my weight for the last year. Have I lost enough weight for a tummy tuck? I'm very concerned about scar placement. Could a mini tummy tuck give me good results? Also, I'm curious about the skin on my sides. Will it be tighten in the tummy tuck. I'm very active, lift weights, run including half marathons. I feel my stomach is holding my training back. I would love to train for a fitness competition.

Is a Tummy Tuck the Answer?

+2

The minitummy tuck will not address the skin laxity in the upper abdomen.  I think that a tummy tuck coupled with liposuction of the sides and the back will give you a very nice result.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tummy tuck is the answer

+1

You are an excellent candidate for a new technique called Abdominoplasty with Mesh Reinforcement.  Using a transverse incision it is possible to excise the excess skin and reinforce your abdominal wall with mesh.  The mesh provides increased mechanical strength, which results in early satiety, lose of weight and maintains the reduced weight.  A mini tummy tuck would be of no value and you would be dissatisfied.   

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Is a tummy tuck the answer?

+1

Because you have lost 100 pounds, although you are in a very good shape there is an issue of excess skin and some of the stretch marks as well.  Your excess skin is located not only below your belly button, but also above your belly button.  For that reason, the procedure you need is a standard abdominoplasty (standard tummy tuck).

S. Ozan Sozer, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Is a Tummy Tuck the Answer?

+1

Based on the pictures, a full tummy tuck may be best. A mini tummy will give minimal results and leave you disappointed.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Loose Abdominal Skin after Weight Loss

+1

After losing 100 pounds, many patients are left with a significant amount of loose skin often not just on the abdomen, but also on the flanks (hips) and buttocks. At a minimum, you will need a full tummy tuck. Some patients with loose skin on the hips and buttocks benefit from a circumferential body lift procedure. I would recommend that you consult with a plastic surgeon who has experience in surgery on massive weight loss patients.

Donald Griffin, MD

Full tummy tuck is the answer after weight loss

+1

If you have reached your goal weight you are ready for a tummy tuck. A full tummy tuck is the only way to remove the skin excess from above the belly button so the mini will not meet your needs.

Full Tummy Tuck After 100lb Weight Loss

+1

With that amount of weight loss, the skin has lost much of its elasticity and only a full tummy tuck can give you the amount of total abdominal skin tightening that you desire. A mini-tummy tuck will certainly help but the trade-off for a smaller and lower scar will be a lot more loose skin left that you probably will not like. The skin on the sides of the abdomen will only tighten if it is removed along with the tummy tuck.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Full tummy tuck after large weight loss

+1

After the amount of weight you have lost the skin will be very loose and at least a full tummy tuck is usually the way to go. Sometimes even an extended version to get more lifting on the sides. A mini tummy tuck only works well when no tightening of the upper abdomen is needed, which is a comparatively small percentage of tummy tuck patients.

Richard Baxter, MD

I've lost weight - will a mini-tummy tuck suffice

+1

You will be dissatisfied with a mini-tummy tuck.  It will not provide the improvement that you need in the upper abdomen.  Although the scar is longer with a full tummy tuck, the results can be fantastic.  It isn't worth sacrificing the length of scar for a good result. Check out the picture provided.  You simply can't get that kind of tightening from a mini-tummy tuck.

Brian Dorner, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck for loose skin

+1

You don't need to lose anymore weight. The best patients are ones like you that are thin but have lots of excessive skin. You need a tummy tuck and maybe a body lift as well. You may also need some liposuction in your love handles with possible fat grafting of your buttocks.The body lift will get more of the skin on your sides and also lift up your thighs and buttocks. The scar for a tummy tuck will be very low so it does not show when wearing low cut clothes. You can design the scar so it will be within bikini lines  so this should not be a problem for your fitness competitions.  . Be sure to ask your PS if they perform many body lifts as this procedure is somewhat specialized.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon