Tummy tuck or breast augmentation, which surgery should I do first?

i may not be able to do my "mommy makeover" all at same time due to finances, is there one procedure you would recommend doing first if you had to choose, and why? on the flip side, does anyone recommend just saving my money and putting surgery off until i can do it all at once?

The Choice Is Yours

+1
Good question. The 2 procedures can be done at the same time as long as you realize that your recovery will be more significant than if performed separately. That being said, it is also nice to do it all at one time and have one recovery ... and yes, it is slightly cheaper that way. If you decide to do them separately, choose the procedure that will improve the issue that bothers you most, and do that one first!

Two procedures

+1

In my own opinion, I think it's best if you can have your finances together and wait until you can get both procedures at the same time, you'll recover at the same time from both and you'll save some money and time.

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

+1
Pick the surgery you want the most, or save up and do them at the same time.

Find a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of tummy tuck procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Mommy makeover surgery usually best in one session

+1
By doing both breast augmentation and tummy tuck at the same time, you will spend less money and have only one recovery time. For those reasons it may be best to wait.

Richard Baxter, MD

Tummy tuck and Breast Augmentation

+1

I think it is truly up to you and how these procedures fit into your life.  Think about what bothers you the most and tackle that first.  Or have a goal and work towards getting both done at the same time.  Combining procedures not only saves on money, but also recovery time.  But these things are very personal, either way is fine medically, you need to think about how it fits in your life and finances.  You really can't go wrong either way!  Good luck!

K. Roxanne Grawe, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and BAM - Best to do at same time

+1
I would recommend waiting until you have enough money to do both at once for a few reasons: It will be less expensive as only one anesthesia and recovery room charge, you only have one recovery and time off form work. Your breast augmentation procedure in the right hands can be safely done through your tummy tuck incision so there are no scars on the breast - this is my favorite approach over the past 25 years when both are done at the same time.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Mommy makeover vs tummy tuck vs breast augmentation

+1

The main advantage of doing both a tummy tuck and breast augmentation at the same time is that the recovery overlaps hence there is less combined downtime. If you have small children or an active lifestyle this will make a big difference. The other benefit of choosing the combined approach, is that it is often cheaper to do them together, then to do them separately.

If you really need to choose one versus the other then I would definitely say to choose the one that you think will give you more satisfaction.  If you feel both would give you equal satisfaction, then you can choose based on recovery.   A tummy tuck usually has a harder recovery then a breast augmentation both in terms of discomfort as well as the activity restrictions.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Combining surgeries saves time and money

+1

Thank you for your inquiry. If you are in good health and are a good candidate for both procedures, I suggest that you strongly consider combining the surgeries. I'm sure that you are anxious to get started on your new figure, but combining procedures can save up to $1800. Many surgeons, such as myself, discount second procedures done at the same time. In addition, the most expensive time for the facility and anesthesia costs are the first hour in the operating room. By combining procedures, you go through that first hour once rather than twice, saving money on both. Make sure that you see a board certified plastic surgeon.

James McMahan, M.D., Columbus Plastic Surgeon

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and tummy tuck done at the same time as the best option

+1

Thank you for your question.  If you can only afford 1 operation then do the operation to improve the body part which bothers you as the most.  He will get improvement and your body image and self-esteem from whichever operation you must desperately want.

However your idea of saving up so that you can afford both operations is a good one.  Having both surgeries at the same time will save you Money and also means that she will have 1 recovery instead of 2.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS