Peri-areolar lifts and possible risks? (photo)

if you end up with the breast distortion and areola stretching that is possible after a peri-areolar lift with breast implants, is it something that happens over a period of time or do you tend to see it right away? if it does happen over time, how quickly do you tend to start noticing it, and is it very noticeable? in general, should most people avoid this type of lift? i was told i am right at the border line of needing a lift with my implants, so surgeon is leaving it up to me.

BBA

+1
It can occur at any point after your surgery but usually occurs within the first year.  See a BC PS in your area.

Mini Ultimate Breast Lift(TM)

+1
You are an excellent candidate for a new technique called The Mini Ultimate Breast LiftTM. Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to reshape your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevate them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage. Aligning the areola and breast tissue over the bony prominence of the chest wall maximizes anterior projection and may eliminate the need for implants. Small round textured silicone gel implants placed retro-pectoral look and feel more natural, are more stable, less likely to ripple or have complications needing revision. One of the complications of the periareolar lift is the widening of the areola. If this does occur and you are dissatisfied it can be revised at about 3 to 6 months. The great advantage of the periareolar lift is it avoids the ugly vertical scars of the Wise pattern or lollipop lift, maintains nipple sensation and the ability to breast feed.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Should I get a breast lift

+1

First, if you are right at the border, you might consider just doing a breast augmentation because you will not be burning any bridges, so that you can have a breast lift when you really need it!

As for the peri-areolar lift, yes there is a risk that the areola can spread out.  i think the risk is small because most people use a permanent suture in a circle to keep the areola the size you want.  However, even with that, it can still spread out.

I don't think you need to avoid this breast lift, just make sure you really want a lift - all a lift adds is moving the nipple up and a peri-areolar lift, doesn't move it very much at all.

I'm sure you'll make the best decision!

Bivik Rajnikant Shah, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Lift

+1

I don't think you're a candidate for a periareolar lift, an anchor incision breast lift as well as an implant placement will give you better results as well as enhance your breast to make them beautiful.

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Periareolar lift vs traditional lift

+1

Periareolar lifts don't lift breast tissue or properely tighten breast skin envelope which is essential to have a good result.  Areolar stretching and distortion is unnecessary price to pay for no essential gain.  Not worth it.

Your photos clearly demonstrate that you will have a better outcome with regular breast lift at time of implants.  Improved breast shape will justify associated scar.  Have a regular lift.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Periareolar lift risks

+1

Some of the main risks include pain, lack or loss of nipple sensation, areolar widening, and inability to breastfeed.  Make sure you understand all of the risks before proceeding with surgery.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Periareolar Lift/augmentation

+1

One way to completely avoid areolar stretching is to use a special permanent suture during the lift (which is what I do) to maintain the shape and size after augmentation.  I think this type of lift can give you a beautiful round shape.  Good luck!

K. Roxanne Grawe, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Perioareolar Breast Lifts

+1
Thank you for you picture.  I perform periareolar lifts with implants frequently.  The areolar area can become stretched but it can be minimized or eliminated by:
1.  wide loosing of the skin of the breasts before closing the incision to eliminate tension on the incision.  Tension can produce a widened scar and stretched areola.

2.  using a permanent locking suture around to areola so that it will maintain it's size.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Periareolar lifts and possible consequences?

+1
The periareolar lift is commonly used when indicated, which is for mild-moderate breast sagging. It's main the advantage is minimal scarring. Special suturing is used to minimize the chance of spreading of the areola. But patients vary in their healing, and their results. You should consult with a Board Certified PS with extensive experience using the periareolar lifting approach. Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD