Is 8 Days Enough For Assisted Post-Op Care?

Hello :) I am scheduled to have a full TT on 9/13/11. I will only have help for 8 days, and then after that i am on my own. In your opinion, is that an issue? Sue

UPDATE: Hi again, My children are 16/17 years old. They are pretty much self-sufficient. The housework....def. not a worry! LOL. They will be in school from 7-4 everyday. Driving was another issue for me...being I will have to drive them 20 minutes to school twice a day. Also, I will have to return to work in 14 days. I do have a job where i sit all day. So will 8 days of care be enough?.....I am a bit leary! Thanks!! Sue

Postoperative recovery time for a tummy tuck.

+1

As every patient recovers differently, we can only speak in generalities. However, most patients are beginning to feel "back to normal" within the second or third week. Depending on the amount of liposuction (if any), muscle tightening, and skin excision, you may feel "tight" for several weeks. Pain and discomfort usually subsides significantly after the first week. The use of a support garment can provide a secure feeling and improve your activity level. Having help for the first 8 days is a great idea. You certainly may be up to returning to work at 2 weeks, although it is a good idea to have the ability to take an additional week off if necessary. Good luck and best wishes.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Post op recovery after abdominoplasty

+1

Timing of recovery varies from patient to patient. In most cases you should be fine returning to a desk job after two weeks.  The issue regarding driving is that you should technically be reasonably comfortable and off narcotics prior to driving.  This may well be the case at 8 days, but it would not hurt to have a back up plan just in case. Good luck!

Kathleen Waldorf, MD, FACS

Recovery After Full Tummy Tuck

+1

I agree that there is a lot of individual variation in the period of time required for recovery after a tummy tuck.  I usually ask my patients to refrain from driving for 7-10 days following their tummy tucks.  For most patients eight days of having full time assistance should be adequate.  You should be capable of returning to a sedentary job after 8-10 days.  These are questions which you address with your plastic surgeon.  Both you and he/she have a vested interest in your uncomplicated recovery.

John Whitt, MD

8 days post op care enough post abdominoplasty

+1

each patient is different. each situation is different ie the number of young children and responsibilities. each surgery is different ie the repair that is needed. The best advice is to check with your surgeon, go over your home setup and either the surgeon or nurse can give you recommendations.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Post Operative Care after Tummy Tuck Surgery

+1

Each patient is different with how they heal.  If  you have someone to take care of you for 8 days and then after that, you are just recovering at home by yourself, you may be fine.  If you have children to take care of then I would suggest that you have help for a longer period of time.  You are going through a large procedure and you want to allow your body to recover as best as possible.  Don't risk causing complications by getting up too soon and doing housework or running around after the kids.

Recovery Assistance from Tummy Tuck

+1

Patients do not all recover the same way.  However, for a tummy tuck it could take up to 6 weeks before patients feel back to normal.  Help is nice, especially during the first few days.  Most will do fine with 8 days of help but you may need more if you are taking care of young kids or have a lot of responsibility.  

Albert Dabbah, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon