I Am 8 Days Post Tummy Tuck. Is It Normal to Have Rippling in the Skin?

I hate to refer to Tara Reid but its the only example I can use. I feel like my skin looks very lumpy and uneven like hers did after surgery. I am 8 days post op but am wondering if its what I will end up with? I am happy with the flatness but worried about the texture. Will I need something additional like Thermage to smooth things out? All suggestions or opinions greatly appreciate!

Rippling in skin 8 days after tummy tuck--is this "normal?"

+2

It is early, and you do have some irregularities. Did you have a mini-abdominoplasty? Your scar looks a bit short for a "full" tummy tuck with muscle plication and umbilical transposition. If you do not have a scar completely around your belly button (hopefully skillfully hidden if you do), you probably did have a mini tummy tuck, and may have had liposuction at the same time. This could account for some irregularity, or it could just be localized swelling and bruising under the skin and fat layers as part of your healing process (regardless of procedure details).

At any rate, you need to talk with your surgeon first, be patient and allow your tissues to heal, soften, and settle, and consider infrared, ultrasonic treatments and massage therapy no earlier than three weeks post-op to help soften the more firm or swollen areas. In my opinion, Thermage is of limited value here, though if it was offered as a "free" adjunct to your surgery, and as long as it was used at conservative settings, it might be worthwhile to see if it would help even a little bit.

Time and patience are your best friends at this point! Best wishes!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Healing after tummy tuck

+2

You are in the very earliest period of wound healing after an tummy tuck and likely still have a moderate amount of swelling in the skin and underlying fat.  You should continue to follow you PS instructions and consider message to the affected areas 2-3 x per day.  Allow time for all of the swelling to subside and then reevaluate your result with your PS.  I think you will be pleased.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Rippling Skin after Tummy Tuck

+1

First of all, Tara Reid had an unfortunate experience with liposuction, not tummy tuck.  In your case, you are 8 days post op, so it is too early to get worried about anything.  It appears that you had a mini-tummy tuck.  However, your picture is small and it is hard to see the fine detail.  Without seeing your "Before" pictures, it is also difficult to comment on the results.  Please give it time to heal, the tissues to settle and the swelling to resolve before even getting worried to jumping into new procedures.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD