I Am 3 Days Post Op TT, Can I put Ice on the area I that I have a bruise on that is not an incision? (photo)

Can I put Ice on the area I that I have a bruise on that is not an incision?

Ice/heat following surgery

+1
Surgical procedures often cause trauma to the cutaneous nerves supplying the skin .This will very often leave insensate areas.

Using ice or heat in the post surgical period when you have had "flaps" elevated (such as in a tummy tuck) may cause tissue injury and compromise to the blood supply and therefore skin necrosis. You will not be able to feel this happening either because your normal sensory function has been compromised by the surgery.

I recommend keeping away from these things during your early post op period. 

Good luck, I hope this helps!!

New Haven Plastic Surgeon

Exercise care and caution when applying ice.

+1

You have to be careful putting ice on the skin since the skin can be numb and you can accidentally injure the skin.

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Be cautious with ice

+1

I never place ice or try to cool a tummy tuck becuase it diminishes the blood supply and I am concerned that you can even promote a frostbite type of skin loss.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Ice should not be applied to skin bruising 3 days post surgery

+1

The question that you submitted for online answers should have been asked of your plastic surgeon as he/she performed your surgery. For my patients, I don't recommend ice to be applied to bruising. The skin is numb and a far more significant problem can occur with its usage - freezing and injury to the skin.

The bruising will resolve on its own in short order.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Normal.

+1

What i see is normal and i would not apply ice and get wet.  The bruising will resolve naturally in a week to ten days.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

No need to treat bruising with ice

+1

Bruising is normal.  There is reallly not an effective way to remove the bruising and it is not necessary, because it will clear on its own.  You are likely to be numb in this area and will not feel it if the skin gets too cold.  So you may get frostbite from applying ice.  So it's best to do nothing and let the tissues heal on their own.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Ice on Bruise after Tummy Tuck

+1

It is not a good idea to put ice on bruised tummy tuck skin as the cold can damage the tissue.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Ice on an area post tummy tuck

+1

I would strongly advise against the use of ice on that area. The bruise may be an area of decreased blood supply and ice will constrict the vessels further causing a problem potentially. Check with your surgeon to evaluate the area.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

No ice and you should follow up with your surgeon

+1
You should avoid ice since there is compromised area over the lower abdomen. You should see your surgeon to evaluate your abdomen.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Ice on a tummy tuck not recommended

+1

Ice or heat for that matter on any area that has little to no sensation is not recommended since your body cannot effectively communicate a dangerously high or low temperature.  Of even more importance is that fact that the segment near your incision has been "devascularized" to a certain extent, which means that some of its blood supply as been removed.  Ice in this are will further slow the blood supply to this tissue.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD