High Scar Post-Tummy Tuck

I'm 8 Days Post Op TT No Lipo. I Didn't Expect This High of a Scar. tummy very flat tho! skinny girl with a lot of belly from 2 ten pound babies. No stretch marks. I had a lot of elasticity upper ab, right below my breast. i also had love handles. No lipo but he did pull those in to where i should lose an inch on each side. Nice not to recup from lipo. But doesn't look as though I'll be wearing a low rise bikini this summer does it?

High Scar Post-Tummy Tuck

+3

I don't have access to your pre op photos, but I will have to agree that you have a very high tummy tuck scar. In my practice I try very hard to keep tummy tuck scars as low as possible. I normally position the lowest portion of the scar about 6 cm (2 and1/2 inches) above the labial crease in the midline. Sometimes a patients anatomy or preexisting scars will alter that plan a little, but your scar is quite high.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck scar placement: lower is usually better

+2

Your tummy tuck scar does appear to be quite high, but there may be reasons for that.  If you had some other scarring prior to surgery, for instance, that might change your final tummy tuck scar position.  Your scar is beautifully symmetric, though.  Protect it from the sun and give it time to mature (12-18 months).

Carmen Kavali, MD

Anchoring sutures

+1
Thank you for your post. It is not common for surgeons to anchor the lower incision to the fascia or covering of the abdominal muscles to keep the scar low, however, I do use this technique and agree with it. All the tension on the incision is from above, not below, and thus the scar tends to move toward the area of maximal tension (towards the ribs/bellybutton). This moves the scar higher than desired. I like to keep my scars very low, and feel that anchoring the scar helps accomplish this. The following photo is an example of this.

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon