I Am Three Days Post Op From Upper Eyelid Surgery and my Incisions Comes Down Past the Corners of my Outter Eyelid. Normal?

I am 3 days post op from having upper eyelid surgery.my concern is my incision come down past the corners of my outer eyelid about an inch Is this normal? I am very concerned about having a scar run down the side of each eye onto my face. Is this normal or a mistake that was made? will this scar go away?? I go back to get my stiches out in a few days and how do I let my Dr know I am very concerned about this?

Upper eyelid incision issue

+2

When designing the upper eyelid incision, it sometimes extends outside the borders of the upper eyelid to account for some brow ptosis especially when brow lift is not performed.

Upper eyelid surgical incision size: How long should it be?

+2

When we are planning out the upper eyelid incision, we have to take into account the entire area of skin below the brow so you'll have a nice transition from the eyelid margin up into the brow. Most people have some redundant skin out past the outer end of the eyelid, which if left behind with a short incision, creates a hood that isn't cosmetically pleasing.  These incisions are noticeable in the beginning as they are healing, but almost invariably will fade with time and look very nice. This can take 3-6 months to completely resolve.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

The normal upper eyelid incision

+2

The normal upper eyelid incision follows the lid crease, and then extends past the corner of the eye slighty upward. The lid incision might be visible out the the side at first, though the skin is very forgiving and likely to heal well.

Eyelid incisions heal very well

+1

As Dr. McCracken has mentioned, the eyelid incisions fall in natural eyelid creases and should heal very well. If there is significant lateral hooding on the upper eyelid, sometimes a browlift will  help avoid a lateral incision along the side of the eyes. However, insurance will rarely pay for a browlfit in addition to the eyelid surgery, or patients may not want to pay for both.

In these instances, some surgeons may extend the incision a bit further to give the patient the additional benefit of removing the lateral hooding. 

Discuss your concerns with your surgeon. But allow time for your incisions to heal before you get to worried about the appearance. 

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Upper Eyelid Incision Placement

+1

I am assuming that you had blepharoplasty surgery performed on your upper eyelids.  The upper lid blepharoplasty incision is mostly in the natural eyelid crease.  For patients with lateral skin hooding, the incision extends about 1-2 centimeters past the eyelid crease (away from the nose).  This extended part should gently slope upward in the direction of the eyebrow (but not reach the eyebrow).  The goal is for the incision to fade in time and look like one of the crow's feet wrinkles.  I am not sure why your incisions would extend down toward the cheek if you had a standard upper lid blepharoplasty.

The best way to let your surgeon know that you are concerned about this is to tell your surgeon you are concerned about this at your next appointment in a few days.  He or she may have an explanation.

If your surgeon doesn't give you a satisfactory explanation or if you are unhappy with your appearance you should seek a second opinion from a member of the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.  You can find a member at asoprs dot org.

Remember that it will take up to a year for your incisions to reach their final end point.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon